Cannot uninstall HWInfo64

Hi,

I haven't used my system in a while, and came back and began to update everything that I had, including HWInfo64. When attempting to update, it said I didn't have permissions to change certain things, forcing me to abort the update, even though I am on an admin account (and ran as admin). So I moved to uninstall the program via it's uninstall feature and reinstall the new one, fresh. I suppose it's also pertinent to mention that I DID make sure to exit the program running in my tray and make sure it was fully stopped (via task manager processes, I just checked over after I exited, it wasn't there) before attempting to run the uninstall.

The uninstall deleted everything except the main .exe file, and said "Some items could not be uninstalled. These can be removed manually." or something of that sort. I can't get you the version number, unless you can point me in a direction to find it with the current items I have (already checked the .exe's info, does not list a version). When attempting to remove the item manually, it says I do not have permission (see above, I AM on an admin account).

Now, I cannot find the file to uninstall via ANYTHING, even as far as regedit, which means there's no way for me to cleanly uninstall this program, seemingly. I attempted to roll back the main program files folder in order to run the uninstall again, which was only partially successful because when rolling back, it once again said I didn't have permissions to modify the folder; leaving me with only a couple of files and the uninstall. When running the uninstall, it just deleted the same folders down to the .exe, helping nothing and putting me back to square one.

Please help, this is getting incredibly frustrating to deal with, as I know I've had issues with installing updated versions in the past due to weird "permission" issues that shouldn't exist, but it's never went as far as this.

Well, this is a quite weird problem. First, which version of Windows are you using? Note, that since Windows 7 even if you're running under an Admin account, certain actions require rights elevation via UAC.
But such problem should not occur with HWiNFO.
Is it possible that you're using some antivirus or anti-malware tool that might be blocking access to HWiNFO ?

Martin said:
Well, this is a quite weird problem. First, which version of Windows are you using? Note, that since Windows 7 even if you're running under an Admin account, certain actions require rights elevation via UAC.
But such problem should not occur with HWiNFO.
Is it possible that you're using some antivirus or anti-malware tool that might be blocking access to HWiNFO ?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response! I am using Windows 7, so maybe that's the issue?

I'm using Malwarebytes and Avast Antivirus, but neither are set to do anything with folder permissions, and it's definitely a windows popup that says I don't have access.

Do you know of any workarounds? As long as I can get the .exe uninstalled, I can reinstall the newer version; it's just that when I attempt to install the new version now, in the same folder (which I want to do because I don't want any old stuff sitting around in my files), it says I don't have permission to overwrite what's currently there, probably due to the same issue.

I'd suggest to first try to deactivate both those tools and then see if that changes anything.
If not and the issue with permissions persists, then try to check under Security - Permissions and/or try to do a Take Ownership.

Martin said:
I'd suggest to first try to deactivate both those tools and then see if that changes anything.
If not and the issue with permissions persists, then try to check under Security - Permissions and/or try to do a Take Ownership.

I test those things, too, but they didn't work. Apparently, after a couple restarts due to other problems, the .exe got rid of itself. I definitely restarted right after the original uninstall, so I'm not exactly sure what did it, but I managed to delete the other bits that were left over and reinstall the new one, so problem solved!

Back