Cannot Update to new Version

Triple-D

Good Day to you all,
I am an avid user of HWInfo and like the Info it gives,however it will not let me update to a new version ( from hw64_556 to hw64_558 ). I keep getting the failure message that I do not have the Rights to overwrite the data already there. I have Admin Rights as I am running the only Account on this Computer. I have tried to manually Delete the Folder, also with a Data Shredder.
The System is Windows 10.
Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!
Triple-D

Are you performing the update using the installer version ?
If you have HWiNFO running during the update, have you closed it ?

Martin said:
Are you performing the update using the installer version ?
If you have HWiNFO running during the update, have you closed it ?

Thank you for replying,
Ihave indeed tried to install it with the installer, and yes, I have closed the Program also checking through the Task Manager to be sure that it is closed.

Which files does it claim that it cannot overwrite ?
Also, before starting the install please make sure via Task Manager that HWiNFO is not running.

Martin said:
Which files does it claim that it cannot overwrite ?
Also, before starting the install please make sure via Task Manager that HWiNFO is not running.

I have already stated that I have looked in the Task Manager.
I recieve the Fail message that a File cannot be moved, Fail Code 183.
The File that cannot be deleted or moved ist the .exe Data, also I cannot delete the Folder that this File is in.
Note: I was able to delete all the other Files in this Folder, I have also look at the hidden Data and the System Data in this Folder,nothing remains except the .exe Data.

Martin said:
If you try to manually delete the EXE file, what error do you get ?

I get an error that states I do not have Admin Authority to delete this File.
I am on the only Account on this Computer and definitely have Admin Rights.

Try to run the setup by right-clicking on the installer and "Run as Administrator".

Martin said:
Try to run the setup by right-clicking on the installer and "Run as Administrator".

Already tried that, I always get the same failure message, "unable to move File Code 183"
Everything I have tried I get this message, and believe me, I`ve already tried everything you have suggested.
That is why I am trying to get help here.
I really do appriecate all of your suggestions Martin,but none of them work as I have already tried them. :)

Is it possible that something else in the system might be blocking this? Perhaps some antivirus/antimalware or similar software ?

Martin said:
Is it possible that something else in the system might be blocking this? Perhaps some antivirus/antimalware or similar software ?

Hi Martin,
Sorry for the delay in answering,I live in Germany and slept. :blush: 

There was indeed something in the system that was blocking it, but not some type of antivir or anything like that. It was the Registry itself.I did a search in the Registry and deleted the entire folder out of the Registry, and Viola, it let me delete the EXE File and the folder, since then I am again enjoying HWiNFO to the fullest.I use HWiNFO on 3 Computers and 2 Laptops,so I really enjoy being able to see the Info at a glance whenever a member of my Family comes running with a problem.
Thank you very much for trying your best to help,People like you make the difference in a Forum like this where someone needs help.Your suggestions didn`t actually solve the problem, but they did get me to thinking about other possibilties.
again
Thanks Martin :)

No problem, I live in Slovakia, which is the same time zone :)
The solution you found is really interesting and I'm wondering which keys you had to delete to solve it. Never heard about something like that...

Martin said:
No problem, I live in Slovakia, which is the same time zone :)
The solution you found is really interesting and I'm wondering which keys you had to delete to solve it. Never heard about something like that...

Hi Martin,
I went into regedit and did a search to be truthful,it showed quite a few things actually, but the only Folder I deleted was in HKEY_USERS : S-1-5-21-1235418357-1660617254-36058857100-1001 wich contains HWiNFO64. I deleted
that Folder and everything was allright after that. There were a whole lot of other entries, but I just left them alone, so I do not know if any other entries are relevant to the process.There were some entries in the same folder underneath with the ending of "_Classes" ans some in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG, but I left them alone as well.
I hope these entries may be of some help in the future to further your knowledge about any Bugs that may arise in this area.
Thanks again Martin
Triple-D

Note: There were also some entries in the Recycler as well, but I didn`t touch them.

Thanks! Yes, this might be helpful to other users watching this forum and experiencing a similar issue.

Back