Can't open HWiNFO64 (Stops Responding)

Quanta

I've got a HP desktop and I installed HWiNFO64. When I first opened it, it caused a blue screen of death. I looked at a few threads here and, then, disabled the "SW SMI" option.

But now it stops responding halfway into the scan. I've attached the debug file with "SW SMI" disabled.

Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    145.4 KB · Views: 1
Does HWiNFO just stop responding, or does it crash, or maybe does the entire system crash with "SW SMI" disabled.

Martin said:
Does HWiNFO just stop responding, or does it crash, or maybe does the entire system crash with "SW SMI" disabled.

It stops responding. The message that Windows gives is 'HWiNFO64 has stopped working'. The only option is to 'Close Program'.

This seems to happen when HWiNFO is:

"Examining system configuration
Detecting Video Adapter(s)..."

The entire system crashes (bsod) when "SW SMI" is enabled.

I'm not able to determine the exact cause of this issue with current HWiNFO, so I need to enhance the debug file reporting.
Please get this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_443_2293.zip
and run it. It will hang again, so after killing the hung HWiNFO, please attach the new Debug File produced.

Martin said:
I'm not able to determine the exact cause of this issue with current HWiNFO, so I need to enhance the debug file reporting.
Please get this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_443_2293.zip
and run it. It will hang again, so after killing the hung HWiNFO, please attach the new Debug File produced.

I ran it without changing any of the settings: "SW SMI" was left on. I've attached the debug file. This time, there was no blue screen of death: the program just stopped responding.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
Please try both - with disabled SW SMI and enabled. Then please attach both debug files - I can have a look at both issues then.

Martin said:
Please try both - with disabled SW SMI and enabled. Then please attach both debug files - I can have a look at both issues then.

And here is the debug file for "SW SMI" disabled...

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    149.6 KB · Views: 1
Martin said:
Thanks. Please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_443_2294.zip
and let me know the result. If it still doesn't work, then please attach a new debug file.

It worked! :D Thank you very much! Especially for your quick responses. Out of interest, what was the issue?

By the way, only one CPU core temp is being shown. I suppose this is a limitation of the hardware rather than the software. Is that right?

Finally, what is the CPU Package temperature? It's is idling at around 70°C but this seems to be too hot: it's near the CPU's max temp. So, is that reading an error?

Thank you very much once again!

Thanks for the feedback.
The issue was reading the (UEFI) video BIOS from ACPI tables. I'm not sure without further investigation if it's a fault of the system's firmware or HWiNFO, but the workaround I implemented seems to work.

AMD CPUs cannot monitor per-core temperatures, there's only one sensor in the chip, so it's a hardware limitation. There are some tools displaying per-core temperatures on AMD CPUs, but those values are just fake copies of one single temperature.

Please check this about more details regarding monitoring of CPU temperatures: http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-CPU-Core-Temperature-Measuring-Facts-Fictions

Martin said:
Thanks for the feedback.
The issue was reading the (UEFI) video BIOS from ACPI tables. I'm not sure without further investigation if it's a fault of the system's firmware or HWiNFO, but the workaround I implemented seems to work.

AMD CPUs cannot monitor per-core temperatures, there's only one sensor in the chip, so it's a hardware limitation. There are some tools displaying per-core temperatures on AMD CPUs, but those values are just fake copies of one single temperature.

Please check this about more details regarding monitoring of CPU temperatures: http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-CPU-Core-Temperature-Measuring-Facts-Fictions

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

I have noticed that HWinfo will stop working if HPET feature is disabled on the motherboard.
Wich makes some sense, since a samplerate demands using a clock.

Last edited:
Back