CPU Fan not showing up on HWINFO

I've noticed (new build) that the CPU FAN (NOCTUA NH-D15S) is not showing up in HWinfo. Something else that is weird is that in BIOS the fan speed is 0 RPM however the fan IS spinning. It is plugged into the correct CPU FAN header via a Y splitter (from noctua) at the moment there is only a single fan since I'm waiting for the second one to arrive. Could the fact that only one fan is plugged in be the issue?

Also, the fan is recognized and is controllable via the program Fan Control v62

Fan is set to PWM in BIOS
and SYS FAN 1 & SYS FAN 6 are showing up in HWinfo (these are set to DC in BIOS since they are little 3pin fans that came with the case).

Thanks!

If the fan is not spinning (reads 0 RPM) it won't be shown in HWiNFO until it starts to report a non-zero speed.
Since the BIOS reports 0 RPM too, this would mean there's some issue with monitoring the fan speed. I suspect this might be due to the Y-splitter.

If the fan is not spinning (reads 0 RPM) it won't be shown in HWiNFO until it starts to report a non-zero speed.
Since the BIOS reports 0 RPM too, this would mean there's some issue with monitoring the fan speed. I suspect this might be due to the Y-splitter.
Great. Later today or tomorrow I'll take it out and try it by itself (no y splitter) and report back. Keep in mind the fan IS spinning though (just wanted to clarify that).

Control is a different thing that RPM sensing.
Interesting. So looking a bit deeper into Fan Control I can see that it DOES give me vague info that I can control like "Fan is running at 80%" and I can set a linear curve. HOWEVER! In the "speeds" section where actual RPMs are given it does also say 0 RPM (for the CPU fan). Now I have 3 other system fans: two connected to an exact Y Splitter as the CPU and the other system fan is just in by itself. Those two DO give me RPM readings (also showing up in HWinfo). So this means that the Y splitter is either bad OR that it requires BOTH be connected to give a reading. I guess we'll find out.

Thanks for the replies!

Just a note: Y splitters allow monitoring of only one of the fans connected to it. Maybe the fan is connected to the end that doesn't allow monitoring. If you knew this already then please ignore my comment.

Regards
Dalai

Just a note: Y splitters allow monitoring of only one of the fans connected to it. Maybe the fan is connected to the end that doesn't allow monitoring. If you knew this already then please ignore my comment.

Regards
Dalai
I did NOT know that. I will be able to quickly test that after work for sure since it's easy to reach. Thanks!

Regards
Dalai
You were right, Dalai! I changed it to the OTHER end of the Y cable and I'm now getting a reading! Thanks!

Back