IMPORTANT Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO

my power reporting deviation looks like its going in the red...do i need to change some settings in bios? Deviation is right below line i highlighted in blue.
Asrock Steel Legend x570
bios 1.90
Ryzen 3700x
Do not pay attention to PRD when load is non100%. Only on 100% load this makes sense. Run Cinebench R20/23 MultiThread and see what PRD reports.

PS:
You systems clocks are out of sync. I can see UCLK at 1600MHz and FCLK at 1800MHz. This creates a latency penalty for memory and you're losing performance. Waht is your DRAM speed (MCLK)?
For best performance all these 3 should be clocked the same.

ZenTimings_006.png

Zach here you go thanks for help ...btw when i ran cinebench results looked normal but all numbers dropped in deviation and all was in red?​

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 19
not sure what was going on but went into bios and put everything back on auto...reboot...then went back and set xmp profile 1 with mem....now everything says 1600mhz in zen

Attachments

• zen.jpg
    zen.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 10
That is how it should be. If you want 1800MHz on all you must OC the Ram at 3600MHz.

Zach here you go thanks for help ...btw when i ran cinebench results looked normal but all numbers dropped in deviation and all was in red?​

What was the PowerReportingDeviation (PRD) during the Cinebench run?

Dont mind the reds if you're just using the system on light loads. I get them all the time and they mean nothing. Only 100% load counts.

1614547401232.png

well while running cinebench you would thing the red numbers would be high? no clue why numbers are all red (app issue with my mobo)? ....cinebench score was 4838pts. not sure how much speed i would gain by running ram at 3600mhz but it prob would run at that my ram is in pic

Attachments

• Untitled10.jpg
    Untitled10.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 19
  • my ram.jpg
    my ram.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
well while running cinebench you would thing the red numbers would be high? no clue why numbers are all red (app issue with my mobo)? ....cinebench score was 4838pts. not sure how much speed i would gain by running ram at 3600mhz but it prob would run at that my ram is in pic
I suggest you give a thorough read to the first post of this topic by "The Stilt". He explains in detail what PowerReportingDeviation is and when is to be accounted.
If you dont want to, then all you should keep is that it doesn't matter if you're getting red values unless you're running a 100% load on the CPU. Did you see any red value during the Cinebench run?

----------------------------------------------

I didnt suggest to run your RAM at 3600MHz. It probably cant without some tweaking and some overvoltage beyond 1.35V.
I was only suggesting that you should sync FCLK (InfinityFabric) speed to MCLK and UCLK to get the best out of your RAM. In your case that is 1600MHz.
Cinebench scores are not affected much by RAM performance, if not at all.

But lets keep the place on topic shall we? If you want more info about your RAM you should start another thread/topic about it.

quote: If you dont want to, then all you should keep is that it doesn't matter if you're getting red values unless you're running a 100% load on the CPU. Did you see any red value during the Cinebench run?

that it what i was saying in above post, maybe i was not clear enough. While running cinebench this was the numbers. That is why i said maybe my mobo is false reporting to app? i can run prime95 and still have numbers in the red..as you can see my cpu temp there is 73.5c because i was stressing the system...my cpu idles at around 34c to 35c

Attachments

• Untitled10 (1).jpg
    Untitled10 (1).jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
quote: If you dont want to, then all you should keep is that it doesn't matter if you're getting red values unless you're running a 100% load on the CPU. Did you see any red value during the Cinebench run?

that it what i was saying in above post, maybe i was not clear enough. While running cinebench this was the numbers. That is why i said maybe my mobo is false reporting to app? i can run prime95 and still have numbers in the red..as you can see my cpu temp there is 73.5c because i was stressing the system...my cpu idles at around 34c to 35c
Ok, thats more clear now. Sorry for not understand it before.
So, according to your readings the board reports a total power consumption (PPT) for the CPU around 43W. And PRD reports a deviation around 31.5%
Doing the math:
43 / 0.315 = 136.5
According to this, the true power consumption (PPT) of the CPU is around 136W.

Your CPU (3700X) when PBO is disabled has the following stock limits

PPT: 88W
TDC: 60A
EDC: 90A

When PBO is Enabled (and all PBO sub-settings on AUTO) those limits are unconstrained to very high numbers.
By the reported percentages of "CPU PPT/TDC/EDC Limits" and the reported values of "CPU PPT/TDC/EDC", I can say that you have some wierd (manual?) PBO settings.

Look at the max PPT/TDC/EDC values of your last screenshot.

PPT
43.5W and a 49.4%(of limit) suggests a PPT setting of 88W limit.

TDC
22A and a 36.6%(of limit) suggests a TDC setting of 60A limit.

EDC (this is the weird one)
100A and 43.5%(of limit) suggests an EDC setting of 230A limit.

Did you set EDC at 230A? Or something else is going on? Can you check you PBO settings in BIOS?
Did you change anything on RyzenMaster?

Also I notice your BIOS version is rather old from Sep2019. You should consider updating it to at least v3.50

If you do so, then follow AsRock's instructions about BIOS update carefully.

Last edited:
thanks again for the help Zach...i bought the system prebuilt and did not change anything i just been running it. Yeah i guess i could update the bios

bios updated to 3.50 as you suggested

the bios update seems to have gotten my numbers out of the red (nice) new numbers under load

Attachments

• new numbers under load.jpg
    new numbers under load.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
That’s normal.
How is your CB scores now? I would expect it to be decreased by some points, because of the power consumption decrease. You can also tell by the lower temp.

So, i have made a new system with a Ryzen 5600X and a B550-A Pro, I left HWinfo64 running on the background while I was playing and doing many different workloads. After some minutes I took a look at HWinfo64 to see my fan RPM's and saw this:

1614988036303.png

Is this normal? I have read the first post of this topic, but honestly, I don't understand that much... Thanks

Note: Bios in auto's. No manual OC here.

Come on people... It’s not Einstein’s theory.

I'm quoting from first post:

HWiNFO will display "Power Reporting Deviation" metric under the CPUs enhanced sensors. The displayed figure is a percentage, with 100.0% being the completely unbiased baseline. When the motherboard manufacturer has both properly calibrated and declared the reference value, the reported figure should be pretty close to 100% under a stable, near-full-load scenario. A ballpark for a threshold, where the readings become suspicious is around ±5%. So, if you see an average value that is significantly lower than ~ 95% there is most likely intentional biasing going on. Obviously, the figure can be greater than 100%, but for the obvious reasons it rarely is

As stated before, this metric is only valid during a relatively stable near-full-load condition. That is due to the typical measurement accuracy of the VRM controller telemetry, and also due to the highly advanced and fast power management on Ryzen CPUs, that not only result in extremely low idle, but also in extremely rapidly changing power consumption. A suggested workload to get a stable and reproducable deviation metric is Cinebench R20 NT, with the HWiNFO sample rate set to less or equal to 1000ms.

Did you @RUM run a Cinebench all core to see the value during that? Anything else than 100% load for the CPU is useless.

Last edited:
Second Gigabyte reply:
AMD had announced that HWinfo Power Reporting Deviation is not accurate. F.e. ASUS B550-E GAMING even shows strange data:
1615033810007.png

Second Gigabyte reply:
AMD had announced that HWinfo Power Reporting Deviation is not accurate. F.e. ASUS B550-E GAMING even shows strange data:
View attachment 6056
What exactly this screenshot is showing? What is the wierd data?
Who's CPU is this, what CPU is this and under what load this was captured? Sure its not under/during 100% CPU load

Back