IMPORTANT Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO

So is this bad? I'm not sure why its red - Mb is Asus b550 CPU is Ryzen 9 5900x -The only thing i have more volts going into(or over clocked)is my ram which is is 1.42 volts(because sys is unstable at 4000Mhz if i don't ...what would i need to fix in Bios for accurate reporting?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    785.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello everyone. I build my new pc a week ago with 5600x. I have an asrock b550m ITX updated to latest 1.80bios. All settings are factory.
I feel something isn't right. Any help would be appreciated since i am noob. My temps in general idle/load to me seem way to high, especially the idle when i was at 27c with an old i5 4460 i had(same conditions)
Also i was reading every page but didnt see anyone that had under 100% power deviation to say how to fix it.
temps.png

So is this bad? I'm not sure why its red - Mb is Asus b550 CPU is Ryzen 9 5900x -The only thing i have more volts going into(or over clocked)is my ram which is is 1.42 volts(because sys is unstable at 4000Mhz if i don't ...what would i need to fix in Bios for accurate reporting?
It can only be deemed accurate when CPU utilisation is as close to 100% as possible (e.g. an all-core Cinebench R23 benchmark).

Last edited:
First of all i'd check if your cooler is properly installed, 'cause temps on the ss are too high even for the cheap one.
I changed the amd cooler to something i had on a drawer and i see better temps. Will buy a new better one soon but still my deviation is pretty low, anyone knows something about that? I tried the 4.5Ghz at 1.2v most voted reddit thread but didn't change anything. Can i actually do anything or should i wait for bios update and email Asrock?

my deviation is pretty low, anyone knows something about that?
Are you checking that figure at ~100% load, and only at ~100% load?

I changed the amd cooler to something i had on a drawer and i see better temps. Will buy a new better one soon but still my deviation is pretty low, anyone knows something about that? I tried the 4.5Ghz at 1.2v most voted reddit thread but didn't change anything. Can i actually do anything or should i wait for bios update and email Asrock?
1. Is your system operating normally (i.e. no crashes, etc.)?
2. Do you believe your system is using too much power, or that power readings are inaccurate?
3. Have you looked through the ASRock BIOS for telemetry options? If so, what are the options you've found?

Last edited:
Yes I tested always at 100% doing bench. I read the whole 25 pages too.
My pc is stable and I never had any crash in my life I think. To your no2 question the only way to tell is hwinfo and that shows lower deviation so I guess something is not right but not that bad. For your 3rd I am a newbie when it comes to bios, I only know the basics. Maybe I saw this telemetry thing and I don't realise it's what you asking.
My goal is not to minmax my CPU but I spent hella lot of money for the whole combo and I just want it to work properly so it can last a long healthy life

My goal is not to minmax my CPU but I spent hella lot of money for the whole combo and I just want it to work properly so it can last a long healthy life
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I would totally ignore the power deviation reporting for games and general browsing. Only pay attention to the reported figures when fully saturating your CPU. An example of this would be running an all-core Cinebench R23 benchmark - that will saturate your CPU and bring utilisation as close to 100% as possible. With that in mind, PDR will be accurate.

Personally, I found it didn't match physical measurements taken from the EPS12V (or rather, the power reported in HWiNFO matched the EPS12V).

tldr;
1. ignore it (I do), or only pay attention when your PC is at 100% load.
2. go through your UEFI/BIOS (there should be a search hotkey - on Asus this is F9) and look for "telemetry" without the "". Take a photo (or screenshot) and upload it here. I, or another user, can then look at it and tell you which settings to change, if any, so that reporting is more accurate.

Last edited:
tl:dr

Revisiting this thread. Under load CB R23 Multi bench my deviation is ~ 110% sitting idle it's crazy high like 300+% Is that normal?

I know this is an older thread, and I perfectly understand the issue. What I don't understand is how to resolve it. While I'm not really concerned about the longevity of the CPU, I am concerned about the temp. This is my file/media server that runs 14x7 and also does encoding/transcoding. It's running a 3900X in an Asus B550-E with UEFI v2423. With a Noctua U12S Chromax, temps are getting close to 80 degrees and my PRD is generally around 80% at a 100% load using Cinebench R20. I am not doing any overclocking. No PBO or messing with the voltages. I do have the memory manually set to it's rated clock speed and latency. Outside that, everything is set to auto.

After reading through this entire thread, as well as other sources, I've not seen a consistent explanation on how to resolve this. Some say to mess with the CPU voltage, some say to adjust the PPT, some say to adjust the CPUVDD, some say to change settings I don't have in my UEFI, like full scale VDD that's separate from the CPU or SOC. Can someone give me an idea of what setting I need to adjust to resolve this?

question

how do you know what is the exact, correct, power consumption, with which to compare what the motherboard reports?

question

how do you know what is the exact, correct, power consumption, with which to compare what the motherboard reports?

The CPU has certain means to pretty accurately estimated power consumption of certain parts which doesn't rely on the mainboard/BIOS-provided settings.

so what's the point of the motherboard providing information if the cpu can determine how much power it consumes?

i am very confused by everything that has been said so far?

okay, so.

how can I verify the accuracy of your claims? Because if I didn't know better, I would say that you're asking us to blindly trust you, accept your claims "on faith".

Is there some experiment I can perform? Some measurements? Did you measure the power used by the CPU? How do you know how much of the power going in the package is used by the cpu, the cache or the interconnect? Those and other questions pop to mind.

You will have to trust it as I cannot provide further confidential details. When this feature was introduced AMD immediately asked for details how this is calculated and I provided them all. They didn't have any objections.

Hello... not sure if I should start a new thread for this or just plop it here.

I've just upgraded to a Ryzen 5700X, and haven't really had any issues (only been a day so far). In fact I was surprised to see slightly cooler temps compared to the old R5 3600.

Just to be safe I pulled up HWiNFO, noticed a red Power Reporting Deviation value, and then thoroughly read the tool tip. So, I fired up 7zip benchmark to push the CPU to 100% usage. After 10 passes of the benchmark, I recorded an average of approx 120 % for the Power Reporting Deviation value.

When I first noticed this, I turned off PBO but this doesn't seem to have any effect. There may be other settings in the UEFI that I haven't touched yet, and I'm not sure where to look, or if I should be concerned.

My motherboard: Asus Tuf x570 Plus Wifi, UEFI version 4403

CPU temps are a comfortable 55 Celsius during the bench, so I'm not worried about that.

Any thoughts are appreciated, especially if anyone here is using the same motherboard as me.

Thanks.

You will have to trust it as I cannot provide further confidential details.
Hi! Does MSR Core and Package energy status (from publicly available PPR), report values based on VRM telemetry data as well?

Back