Fan Control Respin

pettiford37

Hi, I sincerely hope that this hasn't been covered in another thread. I've found some threads that touch it but not the exact issue. 

I rely on this program for fan control in my dell precision m6700. Without, it would be impossible to use a lot of "unsupported" gpus throughout the dell precision laptop line, so im very grateful.

The only issue is that hwinfo seems to have to constantly battle the system for fan control, the set manual only works for a second and is unusable. The custom auto works well, but the respin has to be set as low as possible in order not to hear an annoying, pulsing of the fans. Even though 100 ms is supposedly the lowest, it actually works better with the respin set to 0. There's just the warning message that keeps popping up, whenever the fan changes speeds. 

Given that the 0 ms respin is actually effective, and makes the fans run noticeably steadier, is it possible to disable the warning message that says "enter an integer between 100 and 5000"?

thanks in advance for any information

OK, I will remove this limitation in the next build.
But please note, that when this feature is activated is constantly checks actual fan speed against the desired value. Setting this timer too low (too high frequency) can cause higher system load because (depending on system and firmware) the command to read/set fan speed can take significant resources and longer time.

Thanks! what a quick reply, and how accommodating of you!

In regards to the system load, it seems to have no discernible impact on my cpu (3740qm) or ram usage, but I appreciate the information. This will solve an annoying issue that i know is present on both the precision m4600 and m6700, and actually helps the cooling by a degree or two because the fan doesn't "hiccup" as much.

even with the respin set to 0, the fan randomly revs up every once in a while, but I have a feeling this is inevitable

Yes, the firmware has always higher priority and in such case HWiNFO is fighting with it...
Make sure also to check if you don't experience hiccups in applications/games when using a respin with high frequency.

Martin said:
Yes, the firmware has always higher priority and in such case HWiNFO is fighting with it...
Make sure also to check if you don't experience hiccups in applications/games when using a respin with high frequency.

So far I haven't noticed any significant hiccups in games or applications. I've been using the respin at 0. The warning only pops up when the fan changes speeds or when it first starts, but it pops up infinitely until you close all the dialog boxes, so itll will still be nicer without it I think. I know you've dealt with this issue before, causing crashes on some machines etc., I just wanted to thank you for readdressing it here.

Back