Fan reading disappears

• Thread starter Deleted member 180
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 180

There is a fan reading that keeps disappearing and appearing at regular intervals (chassis front). I've attached scrennshots

[attachment=284]
[attachment=285]

Attachments

• HWINFO64 01.jpg
    HWINFO64 01.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 22
  • HWINFO64 02.jpg
    HWINFO64 02.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 17
This might be because the fan is OFF (or there's an error reading it's speed) when HWiNFO starts, so it's not displayed first. It's not shown because in such case it's not possible to determine if the fan is really not spinning, or not connected at all.
When HWiNFO is able to read a correct fan speed, it will reappear immediately.

Martin said:
This might be because the fan is OFF (or there's an error reading it's speed) when HWiNFO starts, so it's not displayed first. It's not shown because in such case it's not possible to determine if the fan is really not spinning, or not connected at all.
When HWiNFO is able to read a correct fan speed, it will reappear immediately.

This wasn't an issue on older versions and I can confirm that the fan is spinning. In case this is caused by an error in the reading could the program keep the previous correct value? The fan appears and disappears between reading updates.

Martin said:
Ok, I'll try to fix it in the next build.

I've tested newer versions of HWINFO and the problem still persists.

Did you close the sensors window when the disappearing and appearing happens, or does it happen when you have the window open all the time?

Martin said:
Did you close the sensors window when the disappearing and appearing happens, or does it happen when you have the window open all the time?

It is happening on both situations. On previous versions it only happened to one of the fans but now it happens to both case fans. Sometimes they disappear for a few seconds but the max and min isn't lost.

I submitted a bug report a few months ago where HWINFO would show incorrect RPM values. Sometimes it reported 0 RPM or a huge RPM value. This was fixed and these readings were filtered so they wouldn't show up on HWINFO. Because these values only appeared between readings refresh, the fix was that when these odd values appeared they were discarded and the previous correct reading was shown. On newer versions fans keep appearing and disappearing. It is making it hard and annoying to see the rpm values.

Which version of HWiNFO are you currently using?
Could you please post few more screenshots using the latest version (3.94) ?
You might also try to click "Reset Preferences" in HWiNFO configuration to see if that helps.

Martin said:
Which version of HWiNFO are you currently using?
Could you please post few more screenshots using the latest version (3.94) ?
You might also try to click "Reset Preferences" in HWiNFO configuration to see if that helps.

I've got the latest version. I tried clicking "Reset Preferences" and the fans stopped disappearing. Now, sometimes, appears 0RPM between reading refreshes. Can you filter this read error and make the software show the last RPM value when this happens? This only happens between value updates.

Attachments

• OK.jpg
    OK.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Error 01.jpg
    Error 01.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Error 02.jpg
    Error 02.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 3
I'm sorry, but it's not possible to distinguish a value returned when the fan is not spinning and in case there's a reading error. If I would show the last displayed value, it wouldn't catch when the fan really isn't spinning.
Are you maybe using another software for monitoring in parallel with HWiNFO? That might cause such issues.

Martin said:
I'm sorry, but it's not possible to distinguish a value returned when the fan is not spinning and in case there's a reading error. If I would show the last displayed value, it wouldn't catch when the fan really isn't spinning.
Are you maybe using another software for monitoring in parallel with HWiNFO? That might cause such issues.

I don't have another software running in parallel. I think you didn't understand my suggestion. HWINFO updates values every 2 seconds. If it is reading 1600RPM and in the next update it is 0RPM then this is an error because the fan doesn't stop in 2 seconds. If there are two consecutive readings where the fan reports 0RPM then the fan is stopped. It is a minor issue because these 0RPM readings aren't considered in the "MIN" column.

The scan interval is user configurable, so it would need a bit more logic to hadle such workaround.
I'd prefer to fix the cause of this problem rather than the consequence. This might require that I put additional debugging information into HWiNFO and you run it for a longer time to sample information that I'll need to analyse. Would that be ok?

Martin said:
The scan interval is user configurable, so it would need a bit more logic to hadle such workaround.
I'd prefer to fix the cause of this problem rather than the consequence. This might require that I put additional debugging information into HWiNFO and you run it for a longer time to sample information that I'll need to analyse. Would that be ok?

I entered bios and checked there the fans RPMs. The case fans sometimes report an RPM value higher than 99000 RPM. I think that HWinfo shows 0RPM when this happens because I never saw this value on the software. When HWinfo reports 0RPM the fans are really spinning.

That means there's definitively a problem reading the fan speed and ocassionaly an invalid value is read.

It's not clear from the screenshot you posted which exact sensor that CPU fan belongs to.
Also are you maybe using other system monitoring tools along with HWiNFO? This can cause a conflict in some cases.

the one highlighted, as you can see the minimum RPM is 0, sometimes the current is going 0 also, hmmm im running msi afterburner and rivatunerstatisticsserver

Back