Fan speed (ACPI) on HP Omen 17 ?

midiwidi

Hello

HWiNFO doesn't show the fan speeds on my new laptop (HP Omen 17-an111gn), but SpeedFan does. In the SpeedFan configuration I saw that the 2 fan speeds are retrieved from ACPI $0.
Is there a way to get HWiNFO to get the 2 fan speed readings?
I have screenshots of SpeedFan and HWiNFO as well as a debug file attached.

Cheers,
Markus

Attachments

• SpeedFan.png
    SpeedFan.png
    18 KB · Views: 21
  • HWiNFO.png
    HWiNFO.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 22
  • HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Sorry, I don't know which of the ACPI methods provide fan speeds on that machine.
Does SpeedFan perhaps provide some more details about which exact ACPI method is used?

IIRC by default debug mode is enabled in SpeedFan (see Configure > Options tab). If it's enabled, SpeedFan writes to a file called debug.nfo located in the SpeedFan install directory. Maybe that file contains more details about the ACPI method.

Regards
Dalai

Thank you Dalai, that was a very good suggestion.

I had a look into the debug files of SpeedFan. I captured a file at 2 different fan speed sets (both attached) 1st at fan1=2793rmp, fan2=171rpm and 2nd at fan1=4170rmp, fan2=115rpm.
The hex values can be found in the debug files and it tells something about the methods too. I've attached a png which shows an excerpt of the interesting part of the debug files. I have marked the RPM value related bytes in different colors.
I've also attached the ACPI table DSDT read with RW Everything which contains information of the methods used by SpeedFan and might be helpful.

Hope this information help you to figure out how the fan speeds of the HP Omen 17 can be read,

Thanks, Markus.

Attachments

• SpeedFan_debug_excerpt_at_different_speeds.png
    SpeedFan_debug_excerpt_at_different_speeds.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks. FAN1 looks OK to me, but I doubt FAN2 speed is correct.
Unfortunately I can't see the DSDT file attached, can you please check again? Also if you could attach the Embedded Controller (EC) dump, it might be very useful as well.

Thanks, that might be sufficient for me.
I will add fan monitoring in the next build of HWiNFO.

Thank you very much. If you need somebody to test this before you release the next version, then I'm happy to.

Attached you can find EC dumps at 2 different speed sets together with SpeedFan showing the readings. I have marked the hex bytes which I believe correspond to the fan speeds.
I read in the internet, that it is normal for the second fan speed to be so low. They said that this is the CPU fan which is normally as low. The other one is the GPU fan.

Attachments

• EC_dumps.png
    EC_dumps.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 18
Wow, you are really fast Martin.

Thanks for the test version. I tried it and the results you can see attached.
The first time I started the new version, there was a new category on the sensor window (something like "HP Omen ..."), but no entry was shown underneath.
I restarted my computer and then readings were showing up. But I noticed (while looking on the sensor display) that there were spikes in the readings. I saw spike towards big values of about 39000rpm and spikes towards very small value like 100rpm. Sometimes the value was also grayed out for 1 sample.

*_01.png shows a plot  of that together with a plot from SpeedFan.
[attachment=3207]

After a while I accidentally closed HWiNFO and had to start it again. After that the reading was more stable. I only saw 1 spike over about 15min.
Here is the plots from *_02.png
[attachment=3208]

... and another plot with changing fan speeds from *_03.png
[attachment=3209]

I added the reading from HWiNFO to the desktop widget I'm using. I will monitor it in the next couple of days and let you know if I experience any spike and how often they appear.

Thanks again, Markus.

Attachments

• HWiNFO_601_3631_fan_reading_01.png
    HWiNFO_601_3631_fan_reading_01.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 18
  • HWiNFO_601_3631_fan_reading_02.png
    HWiNFO_601_3631_fan_reading_02.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 15
  • HWiNFO_601_3631_fan_reading_03.png
    HWiNFO_601_3631_fan_reading_03.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the feedback.
Those erratic values are most probably invalid readouts that can be caused when running multiple monitoring tools in parallel. If you run SpeedFan with HWiNFO at the same time, try to close SpeedFan (or at least disable monitoring of those ACPI fans there) to see if that will solve the issue.

midiwidi said:
Thank you very much. If you need somebody to test this before you release the next version, then I'm happy to.

Attached you can find EC dumps at 2 different speed sets together with SpeedFan showing the readings. I have marked the hex bytes which I believe correspond to the fan speeds.
I read in the internet, that it is normal for the second fan speed to be so low. They said that this is the CPU fan which is normally as low. The other one is the GPU fan.

I have the same device and I suffer from the same problem and the device does not cooling properly and I can not play it because it soon issued a strong voice and then shutdown when the temperature rises, and I try speedFan Program but does not show the speed of the fan, I tried a lot of solutions but did not work, please help me if you have the solution!

ahmadberry said:
midiwidi said:

I have the same device and I suffer from the same problem and the device does not cooling properly and I can not play it because it soon issued a strong voice and then shutdown when the temperature rises, and I try speedFan Program but does not show the speed of the fan, I tried a lot of solutions but did not work, please help me if you have the solution!
Hello, I have the 15" version of this HP Omen, is there still development on this thread? I tried to download the beta software but it is 404d

Thanks so much, id love to create my own fan profile, for this hot machine.....

That Beta version has been removed as that functionality has been carried to latest public Beta version. So please try that one.
If it doesn't work, please provide the information above.

Back