GPU power in W is no longer reported

kfl168

Hello,
for me the GPU power in W is no longer reported.
It disappeared from my OSD, so I know it has been reported before with this GPU... could a GPU driver update be the reason for that?

gpu_power_missing.PNG

GPU driver:
driver.JPG

EDIT:
HWINFO64 v6.10-3880

Yes, this is certainly caused by the driver update. Looks like the new drivers you installed either lack support of NVML or power reporting.

Almost forgot to mention that I love HWiNFO! And you were right. I got it back now :D - with the same GPU driver Version, but with the driver type "standard" instead of "DCH"

I had to DDU my GPU driver a few days back and after that GeforceExperience apparently installed this DCH driver. Then the GPU Power reading in HWINFO was gone.
As far as I understand, in the long term everyone is supposed to use the DCH driver. So maybe its worth looking into this? Either the reporting functionality in the DCH driver is gone or HWiNFO doesn't "find" it in the new driver?
Interestingly GPU-Z was able to read the GPU power with both drivers, I really wonder why that is.

gpu_power_back.JPG

If someone is interested in how to get the standard GPU driver back:

Thanks for your feedback. So it looks like there's something different in the DCH driver and I will need to look into that.
If you even get back to DCH, I'd be interested to check a few things there...

That would be great. If you do so, I'd need you to scan the drive and search for a file called "nvml.dll". If you find it, please tell me it's location. But it's quite possible that this file doesn't exist in the DCH version and that's the reason of the lack of GPU Power [W].

Ok, no problem. I´m afk this weekend, I will check it on Monday :cool:

EDIT:
I used DDU in Windows safe mode like last time. And afterwards installed the DCH driver.
Now I´m really confused. The DCH driver is installed at the moment and I still get the power reading in W :rolleyes:

I scanned the PC before the upgrade from standard to DCH driver and the locations were:

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI (<-- disappears)
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_fd332b7c7ad5fe7e (<-- changes)

After the driver upgrade:
C:\Windows\System32 (<-- appears)
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_6d316144c2e15454 (<-- changes)

One interesting thing about the "C:\Windows\System32" location... it seems to appear there with the DCH driver installation, as it was not there with the standard driver.
BUT
I also find it under "C:\Windows.old\System32" - the backup Windows made before the last "big" update. And with the old windows I definitely never used the DCH driver.

Well, at which location does it have to be after all in order to work properly?

Last edited:
I'm also seeing this issue. Windows 10 1903, the latest Nvidia DCH driver is installed, nvml.dll is present in C:\Windows\System32, but hwinfo v6.12 does not show GPU Power.

I'd be happy to help troubleshoot if you like. Thanks.

Last edited:
Later HWiNFO versions should be picking up NVML from that folder. Please attach the HWiNFO Debug FIle so I can see more details.

According to the dump HWiNFO is correctly picking up and using NVML.
If no GPU Power in Watts is reported it means NVIDIA has removed this information in that driver version.

And here is a screenshot of the GPU info that is displayed.

Attachments

• HWiNFO gpu info.png
    HWiNFO gpu info.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for looking at it Martin!

Note that GPU Temperature is missing in my screenshot because the GPU was "sleeping". I'm running on a laptop with Optimus, so the Nvidia GPU is not always active. After running an app on the GPU, then it wakes up and the temp is available. GPU Power still is not available.

I have the same problem with rtx 2080 super.
Windows 10 21H1 10.0.19043.
I have driver type: DCH
In HWiNFO there is no wattage report.
Usage of old drivers for long term is problematic.
Have you found solution to this?
1631085195741.png1631085218213.png

I have the same problem with rtx 2080 super.
Windows 10 21H1 10.0.19043.
I have driver type: DCH
In HWiNFO there is no wattage report.
Usage of old drivers for long term is problematic.
Have you found solution to this?
This could be a driver issue, please attach the HWiNFO Debug File.
Thank you for reply. There is HWiNFO debug file.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
I analyzed the raw data and can confirm that this is a driver-related issue. NVIDIA has removed reporting of all power-related information in the driver.
I don't know why they did this, perhaps reinstalling the driver or downgrading to an older version might work.

I analyzed the raw data and can confirm that this is a driver-related issue. NVIDIA has removed reporting of all power-related information in the driver.
I don't know why they did this, perhaps reinstalling the driver or downgrading to an older version might work.
Thank you for helping with my problem. I am trying to fix nvidia driver,
if it doesn't help - i will install older version(I already tested old version - works fine)

Back