HDD tranfer rates monitoring

viswagoku

Guys, this maybe a silly question but, is there anyway to add and monitor HDD trasfer rates? write speed, read speed, etc?

I'm currently working on drive read/write/total activity monitoring and I hope to release this feature the next week.

yeah.. its just %.. well it could have been better if we could see whats the MB/s transfers, or just add a way to get data from the perform monitor.. a lot of features can be added that way :D

(i need to see the HDD usage when i am recording games, like how much data is being written persec, and with that i can optimise the clarity which i should be recording without stressing my HDD)

Thanks for your replies

The actual read/write transfer rate will be reported in the next build released.

Looking forward to this feature :)

BTW, will this work with internal drives only or will external drives (USB, Networked Drive) work too?

Check the new v4.27-2040 Beta released.
You might need to press the "Restore Original Order" button in Sensors/Layout for the new items to reordered under particular sensors.

Thanks very much! It is working on my internal and USB Drives.

BTW, is it possible that you have the S.M.A.R.T. info and the transfer data under a single Disk Entry instead of two separate ones which is how it is currently done?

PantherX said:
Thanks very much! It is working on my internal and USB Drives.

BTW, is it possible that you have the S.M.A.R.T. info and the transfer data under a single Disk Entry instead of two separate ones which is how it is currently done?

Originally I wanted to do it that way, but unfortunately it's not always possible to know the exact linkage between these two kinds of sensors.

Hi Martin, just tried the '2050 Beta with drive transfer rate monitoring, working fine for me, nice work and thanks!

A few comments and questions:

What defines or indicates 100% Read or Write activity? Just curious what is checked, or how this is determined.

Same thing for various percentages (5%, 50%, etc) of read/write activity, what is the criteria?

Maximum total activity does not make sense to me, although I just saw a simultaneous Read and Write activity %, if that is actually possible.

The Minimum activity column may not be of much use to PC users, as all I get is 0.0%.

FYI, I ran just the Sequential Read and Write test in AS SSD on a SSD with HWiNFO running. The Read and Write speeds in each did not match exactly, the HWiNFO reading being higher by ~3-4%. I'm not implying that one or the other is correct, since I sure can't prove one or the other.

This new feature is a great one, and will be very interesting and educational over time.

The percentage of read/write activity is the ratio of time the drive spends with read/write operations (i.e. if the drive spends 1 second of read operations during the last 100 seconds, the read activity is 1%). This is a value reported by the storage subsystem.
The Total Activity is just the sum of both read+write values.

Thanks Martin, so the percentage is not something you are calculating, interesting.

Sorry, but the explanation is to simplistic for me, I'll need to look into that, if I knew where to look...

IMO, this is the best new feature you've added since DRAM power and chipset temperature! Thanks again!

Back