How do you guys get your hands on the datasheets?

HaydenMk4

Hi! Might be a sensitive subject, but how do you figure out the register values for laptops with embedded controllers?

I'm trying to get some temperature readings and fan speeds on my Lenovo Yoga 7 with AMD Cezanne 5900x CPU, but HWInfo doesn't seem to support it yet.
The EC on the board is ITE IT81201E and there is no datasheet available for it, so it's very hard to figure out which registers I'm supposed to be looking at to get the data out.

So I was just wondering, how do the developers of HWInfo figure this stuff out? For most Intel laptops (like Dell XPS) I do see the values, but AMD Cezanne based Lenovos are very fresh on the market (and are not available in US to boot), so I think I'm kind of on my own for this one. Any advice?

Thanks for a great piece of software!

Such solutions are based on proprietary EC firmware implementation, so unless the vendor provides information how the sensor values are exposed it's quite tough to figure this out.
Sometimes ACPI exposed functions shed some light...

Such solutions are based on proprietary EC firmware implementation, so unless the vendor provides information how the sensor values are exposed it's quite tough to figure this out.
Sometimes ACPI exposed functions shed some light...
Yeah that's pretty much what I thought, I'll try to bruteforce the registers a bit, my eventual goal is to be able to control the fans, but without the datasheet I think it's going to be unlikely. Thanks for the response anyway!

Back