How to quickly search for CPU Features

Hugga

Hello

I recently tried installing Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) which didn't work, but learned that WSL needs a CPU thats supports "Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)" feature.

I could not find this reference at all in HWinfo64.

My CPU specs for Core 2 Quad Q6600 say no Hyper-V and since SLAT is related to that I guess that's my problem, but I could not find anything in HWinfo64 about Hyper-V either.

Where am I going wrong with HWinfo64?

How can I search quickly for a particular CPU feature? The only workaround I have it to save as a report and then open the report in another app to search. But still no reference to SLAT or Hyper-V. Is it called something else or is it missing totally?

Any thoughts?

Virtualization feature is in HWiNFO called "Virtual Machine Extensions (VMX)" for Intel or "Secure Virtual Machine" for AMD which are the official names.
Hyper-V is Microsoft's virtualization technology implementation utilizing the above features.

Virtualization feature is in HWiNFO called "Virtual Machine Extensions (VMX)" for Intel or "Secure Virtual Machine" for AMD which are the official names.
Hyper-V is Microsoft's virtualization technology implementation utilizing the above features.

Thanks for the reply. But are we still talking about different things? Isn't VMX hardware-assisted virtualization (VT-x), whereas SLAT is a feature of it (EPT for Intel and RVI for AMD)?

Today I learned that Sysinternals coreinfo -v shows lines for second level address translation separately, suggesting to me that you can have VMX, but not necessarily a SLAT implementation. Same goes for systeminfo.exe

It seems Hyper-V wants a SLAT implementation. So maybe thats my point of confusion there, sorry. Newbie here, forgive my low understanding of the tech.

So circling back, does HWinfo64 show SLAT capability separately from VMX? It would be a nice feature if not, to be able to see if the hardware has the necessary extensions for Hyper-V / WSL2.

Yes, SLAT is an extension to VMX. HWiNFO currently doesn't show this capability and I'm searching how to determine this...

Thats cool, happy to know I am not missing something obvious!

Back onto the other subject of my thread (ie quickly searching CPU features) feature suggestion;

If a search function is too tricky, perhaps being able to sort the "Feature" or "Description" columns in the Main window might be helpful. Alphabetical order might help someone find a title faster, or if the Preset/Not Present/Supported/Enabled etc were grouped, you can quickly browse a subset of the features instead of reading them all.

Thanks for some great software. I recently used the sensors and alarms to diagnose CPU overheating, which lead me to add new thermal paste and I could see the temperature drop. Good software is useful software!

A search function is planned, but I don't have an ETA for this as there's currently a lot of work on localization.

Back