HWiNFO causing ACPI issue

metril

Hi. First of all, great program.

My laptop is the HP Envy 17-1011nr. I am using the latest beta of HWiNFO32, version 3.60-973. Ever since the new build, I am noticing the following error pop up in event viewer. I am also noticing that sometimes my laptop thinks it's on battery when it is actually plugged it. It tends to cycle from A/C to battery and then back to A/C. These problems disappear when I close HWiNFO32.

Here is the exact event viewer log:

Source: ACPI

The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

I am unable to run in debug mode. Doing so causes HWiNFO to freeze.

Running the non-Beta of version of HWiNFO32 does not cause any of these problems.

Attachments

• ENVY17-NOTEBOOK.zip
    22.6 KB · Views: 59
This seems to be a conflict between HWiNFO32 and some component communicating with the EC too. The latest stable build doesn't have issues because it doesn't feature the Envy EC support yet.
1. When do those issues occur, only during the Sensors window is open?
2. Do you have any special HP applications or monitoring tools running concurrently? If yes, can you try to close them and check if it helps?
3. When you go to Configure in HWiNFO32 and disable the "LPC & EC Support", does it fix this problem?

That's what I thought, however by disabling this option you will loose the extra EC sensors values..
What about my 2. question ? Do you have any such tools running?
metril said:
Disabling LP & EC support solves the problem.

I don't have any HP tools or other monitoring programs running other than battery bar. I will check to see if closing battery bar will allow me to use LP/EC.

Update:

Closing Battery Bar and enabling LP/EC support still causes the ACPI error. I do not have any other monitoring programs running.

This issue should be fixed in v3.85 Build 1363 by using EC-ACPI synchronization.

Back