HWiNFO v6.35-4310 Beta released

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
HWiNFO v6.35-4310 Beta available.

Changes:
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS H570, B560, H510 and Q570 series.
  • Added reporting of Precision Boost Clock Limit and Automatic OC Offset on AMD Vermeer.
  • Fixed monitoring of CPU power and HTC status on AMD Zen3.
  • Improved support of Intel Alder Lake and hybrid core architecture.
  • Improved SMART support of some SSD drives.
  • Improved CPU polling efficiency.
  • Added Snapshot Polling mode for AMD Zen-based CPUs.

New feature: Snapshot CPU Polling

This option works on AMD Zen-based CPUs only.
When enabled, a snapshot of the entire CPU package and state of all its cores is read at once. This is different from the traditional approach when each core/thread determines its individual state (clock, voltage, etc.), which might cause it to interfere with the actual state. Hence, this polling mode does most accurately reflect the actual CPU state by eliminating the "Observer Effect" to a minimum.
Note, that in this mode some (i.e. per-thread) values might not be available.

New feature: Snapshot CPU Polling

This option works on AMD Zen-based CPUs only.
When enabled, a snapshot of the entire CPU package and state of all its cores is read at once. This is different from the traditional approach when each core/thread determines its individual state (clock, voltage, etc.), which might cause it to interfere with the actual state. Hence, this polling mode does most accurately reflect the actual CPU state by eliminating the "Observer Effect" to a minimum.
Note, that in this mode some (i.e. per-thread) values might not be available.
Sorry to dig up an old post, but what's happened to this option with recent version?

The layout had to be changed to make space for translated text that can be significantly longer in other languages.

The layout had to be changed to make space for translated text that can be significantly longer in other languages.
That makes sense. Was the Core Effective Clocks area changed? I thought it displayed all threads, but now it shows only the cores.

Check the tooltip help over the "Snapshop CPU Polling" option for explanation and the second post here.

Check the tooltip help over the "Snapshop CPU Polling" option for explanation and the second post here.
Ah, yes - I read that and then completely ignored it once enabled. Thank you. Is there a particular reason you set Snapshot CPU Polling to disabled as the default? The only reason I can think of is for people who see missing threads and panic.

Yes, that's the main reason. It's hard to make changes that reduce amount of information provided :)

Yes, that's the main reason. It's hard to make changes that reduce amount of information provided :)
That makes total sense. I find the utilisation figures interesting when Snapshot CPU Polling is enabled - they tend to be lower.

Here is a stock 5900X (PBO disabled, XMP enabled) running two instances of x265 (24 pools, heavily multi-threaded), yet the utilisation is reported ~15% lower with Snapshot CPU Polling enabled. Frequency remains the same.

1647607247155.png

This sounds plausible as the Snapshot Polling mode reduces the amount of queries to particular cores and also better respects low-power states.

This sounds plausible as the Snapshot Polling mode reduces the amount of queries to particular cores and also better respects low-power states.
And after spending a couple of days testing, I found that Snapshot CPU Polling seemed to cause lag, or make the system less responsive. This was fixed by exiting HWiNFO, and then reproduced.

Back