HWiNFO32 and HWiNFO64 v5.04 released

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
HWiNFO32/64 v5.04 has been released.
Changes:
  • Added customizable thousands separator for values in sensors window.
  • Improved support of AMD Radeon R9 Fury series.
  • Added monitoring support of some Asetek-based coolers (Corsair H80iGT/H100iGTX/H110iGTX, NZXT Kraken X31/X41, Antec Kuhler H2O 920).
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS Z170 and MAXIMUS VIII series.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASRock X99 and Z170 series.
  • Added NVMe support (information, SMART health status).
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on GIGABYTE Z170 series.
  • Fixed publishing of remote sensor data to plug-ins.
  • Added NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950.
  • Optimized Embedded Controller (EC) access (lower system latency).
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS H170, B150 and SABERTOOTH Z170 series.
  • Changing "Low-level PCI Access" option to enabled by default for better reliability.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ECS Z170.

According to Norton Security the installation file HW64_504.exe contains the virus WS.Reputation.1

Martin

Yes, it is not the first time such "precise" virus detective gives.:) Once announced Symantec Antivirus kernel sources FreeBSD 6.2.1-STABLE virus after rubbed them on the local network. Maintenance said, "Since our business users say the virus - it means the virus!" and then I laughed for a long time, but fool-swatter demolished yet not breaking wood. :)

Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2015 14:01

Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:

E314ECCE18B64317FF8E905A7F2FB378 - hw64_504.exe

The updated detection(s) will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

Please note that whitelisting can take up to 24 hours to take effect.

I'm the owner of Alienware 17 R2. From older version I found that when enable Dell EC, it cause crackling and popping of sound. But with this version, when enable all of new things and EC support, I didn't hear any sound crackling anymore. I checked with DPC Latency, I did see sometimes it posed over 4000 us, but it seems that with this latency, it don't have any problems anymore.

Great works Martin :)

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed, I have optimized some parts of Embedded Controller (EC) access, but I didn't expect this to have such a significant impact on Alienware notebooks ;)
The occasional peaks you see are probably due to fan control commands issued, which can't be further optimized, I'm afraid.

Hi Martin,

Would it make any difference to future False Positive screens if you removed the version number from the filename?
Believe me I like the version in the filename but would that white list HWiNFO once and for all?

Just wondering....

Best Regards,

Crysta

I'm just so excited and forgot one thing. Normally I will need to disable EC so can control fan, but in this version, I enable it and it allow me to configure different speed rather than 3 fixed stated of fan. In the fan scroll speed, it state 7000 rpm, but I can see that my maximum fan is around 6000 rpm which is really useful when heavy gaming (old version max is only 5200 rpm).

I want to let you know how great in this version you have been worked on and it works for my system, I hope when new version coming out and (if) something messes up in there, you still can figure out what happen :D

I will backup this version to my cloud. By the way, I read that these things only works on Alienware 15 and 17, the 13 is not working.

PhotM said:
Hi Martin,

Would it make any difference to future False Positive screens if you removed the version number from the filename?
Believe me I like the version in the filename but would that white list HWiNFO once and for all?

Just wondering....

Best Regards,

Crysta

No, I don't think that virus scanner whitelisting is based on filenames, rather specific binary patterns inside the file.

lilw said:
I'm just so excited and forgot one thing. Normally I will need to disable EC so can control fan, but in this version, I enable it and it allow me to configure different speed rather than 3 fixed stated of fan. In the fan scroll speed, it state 7000 rpm, but I can see that my maximum fan is around 6000 rpm which is really useful when heavy gaming (old version max is only 5200 rpm).

I want to let you know how great in this version you have been worked on and it works for my system, I hope when new version coming out and (if) something messes up in there, you still can figure out what happen :D

I will backup this version to my cloud. By the way, I read that these things only works on Alienware 15 and 17, the 13 is not working.

7000 RPM is just a theoretical maximum possible, because in the Compal mode (EC enabled) I don't know how to determine the maximum fan speed possible. So I made the scale up-to 7000 ;)
Indeed Alienware 13 is currently not supported. I'd need a user report from such a machine to get it working.

I have just found another problem here, If I enabled EC, after my laptop went idle for half an hour. My laptop acts very strange, most of the app, programs hanged itself, even Hwinfo can't work anymore and went not responded. If disabled EC, it normal again. So I know that is Dell EC has problem when allow Hwinfo read it. Right here I have no idea what to do next.

What do you mean by remove battery? My laptop battery is inside, I must open to unplug it if you mean by that. Or I just need to disable battery sensors?

I detached the battery like what you suggest, and it still happen. Hwinfo freezing and unresponding. Other app launch and then freezing. Most of the time, I must force shutdown my laptop.

Well, that's what happens in the Compal EC mode on some machines.. It's a conflict between HWiNFO and the system when accessing the EC and AFAIK there's no mechanism to avoid this.
You might try to disable the EC sensor, which should improve the situation, but probably won't solve it completely.

If I continuously to use the laptop over time, it will not freezing app at all. Only in idle mode causing this. Disable EC probably does not freeze my system when idle. Enabled EC just bring so much joy to me, but another problems raise. I wish I can find something else and messing around with Hwinfo settings to figure out thing that work.

Thank you :)

Back