HWiNFO64 Not Saving Layout

Zone15

Okay, first of all I am using HWiNFO64 v4.34-2130. My problem is that HWiNFO isn't remembering my settings when I enable a new sensor in the layout. The layout looks fine, I click Save & Quit and when I restart the program, the space where the sensor should be at is a blank space. I dug into the registry and discovered the problem. I gave each of the new sensors I wished to have shown custom names so I could easily find them in the registry. Once I found them I noticed that the value for "Show" was set to "0". I changed the value to a "1" for each of the sensors and restarted HWiNFO. The sensors now showed up fine.

I have got my layout the way I want now but I just tested it and any time I go to enable a new sensor I end up with the same issue and have to manually change the registry value to get it to stick. It seems for some reason HWiNFO is not changing the registry value of "Show" when you click Save & Quit.

Thanks for your report.
The "Show" entry should in fact be no longer used, it was retained only for some situations to maintain backwards compatibility with older versions.
But I checked the code and you're right, there's a glitch which in a certain situation can cause such issues. I'll fix this in the next build.

How do you backup the layout of the sensors graphs and the window positions?

I use the portable version, and I tried copying my old INI file but it didn't preserve those layout settings.

Martin said:
Use the "Backup User Settings" button in main HWiNFO settings.

Can you tell me the steps to "extract" the needed info from an old windows installation that I can no longer boot from, yet I have all the files?

I'm afraid, that won't be easy because accessing the Windows Registry from an offline drive is quite tricky.
You'd need to check for some tool that can read the binary registry files from disk and decode them. I'm sorry, but I don't know such tool.

Martin said:
Use the "Backup User Settings" button in main HWiNFO settings.

Hello Martin

Can i use a backup .reg file from older (previous) versions of the program? I got new Windows installation and dont want to set up my preferences from scratch.
The file is dated 05.04.2017, so i am pretty sure it "belongs" to Version 5.46

Sure, that's OK.
Problematic might be only when using a backup on a different machine with different sensor layout.

Back