MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB incorrectly reported as 8GB

Jaydee

The MSI NVIDIA MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB video card is incorrectly reported as a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB. I have attached the report file and debug file from HWiNFO version 7.72.

Attachments

• DELL2.HTM
    6.2 KB · Views: 3
  • HWiNFO64.DBG
    750.4 KB · Views: 1
Hmm, this is a quite strange one. The 8GB version has an ID of 2803 and 16GB has ID 2805. Yours is 2803, so it looks like it was originally the 8GB version.
Is that card genuine?

Hello, I'm convinced it's genuine because I purchased it retail a couple weeks ago, brand new and factory sealed, sold and shipped by Amazon. I ran GPU-Z on it and attached a screenshot of the output. Thanks

Attachments

• gpuz.gif
    gpuz.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 7
Thank you very much for your quick reply and the upcoming adjustment. As an aside, it makes one wonder whether MSI had a 'surplus' of ID 2803 boards which they just 'factory-converted' to 16GB!

Just for information, I was rather curious so I downloaded and installed the MSI Center software from the MSI website. I wanted to know if it would detect my MSI video card and what it would report. It detected the card's serial number automatically, and (fortunately!) it reported it as a 16 GB card. A small screenshot from MSI Center is attached. Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-08 181716.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-08 181716.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 5
Howdy there! Also came to report and confirm the same thing. The (mine's an Asus Dual OC 2xFan) RTX 4060ti 16gb (basically the same as 8gb but they tacked on another 8) is showing as the 8gb model.
The GPU is genuine.

They literally put this card back in the shop and taped on more vram.

Even the system can be confused if you use the launch/out of date drivers with the task manager stating only 8gb of vram, you have to use the latest nvidia driver to make your system realise Hey Wait A Minute! there is another 8gb vram there. >.> phew.

This issue has caused many people to report the missing 8gb vram as a fault. This should just not happen Nvidia..cmon guys.

Last edited:
Hi! Just wanted to say that today I tested the new beta HWiNFO64 v7.73-5390 and it correctly reports my MSI video card as a RTX 4060 Ti 16G. Well done! Cheers

Back