New logging layout CSV file

eNdEmiOn

Hello,

I like to help out people with computer problems, mainly hardware problems. So I spend a lot of time on "pc help forums". First of all I really appreciate that there is a logging option available in HWinfo32. I also like the new layout where all the sensor values are placed underneath each other. But there's a but ;)

For instance someone has a pc that shuts down because its overheating. If I tell this person to make a log and then send it to me, I can't tell what readout belongs to what sensor because the last line of the log is never written.

So I would appreciate it if that could be fixed. Last line first maybe (I really know very little regarding excel)?

Even better would be a log that logs the min - avg - max values like you already get presented in the sensor window.

An other thought would be nice to have a combination of a system summary (like u get with a short report) and the mentioned min - avg - max values.

Now that I'm thinking of additional features maybe nice to have some cpu/gpu stress tools integrated into HWinfo32.

I understand the problem of the CSV format. It's done this way only because one fact - in some rare cases it might happen, that there is a certain set of sensor values available at the time when a user starts logging, but during the logging process a new sensor value might appear (there can be various reasons for this since sometimes certain sensor types don't return valid values). Having the labels stored at the log beginning only could result in invalid association in such case. What I could do is to store the labels at the beginning and at the end (to be sure).
The min/max values can be easily deduced from the CSV log.
A system stress test in not in a short-term plan.

Thanks for the quick response. Labeling at the beginning and the end would certainly fix this issue. In regard to possible screwing up the labeling at the beginning due to later sensor readout additions. Maybe use a structure of:
--Readouts
-Labels
--Readouts
-Labels
etc..

So that you can clearly see if values are added at a certain point. Or maybe having a setting to chose how logging will be done?

I get what ur saying about min max values to be easily deduced from the CSV log. Not really that high a priority to me but it would be nice to be quickly able to see what those values are. Seems also relatively easy to implement by using the old stile logging feature but instead of adding new values to the log keep "refreshing" the file (and of course replacing current values with min max values).

Thanks for ur time and effort.

I ran into a problem regarding the csv output file.

When I try to open it with Libre Office / Open Office Calc, it opens in writer (open as text csv, same problem). When I rename the file to filename.txt instead of .csv it works just fine. But when I open de renamed file in notepad it turns up in Japanese? Whatever part of the file tells notepad to open it with Japanese character set causes the problem. If I save the text to a txt of csv file with western character set, there is no more problem.

Please attach or send a sample of the problematic CSV file.

eNdEmiOn said:
I ran into a problem regarding the csv output file.

When I try to open it with Libre Office / Open Office Calc, it opens in writer (open as text csv, same problem). When I rename the file to filename.txt instead of .csv it works just fine. But when I open de renamed file in notepad it turns up in Japanese? Whatever part of the file tells notepad to open it with Japanese character set causes the problem. If I save the text to a txt of csv file with western character set, there is no more problem.

There's no issue when opening the file in Excel, however as you say when I rename in to .TXT then Notepad thinks it's in Unicode format.
Anyway, I found the problem in storing of data and will fix it in the next HWiNFO32 build.
Thanks for the report.

Thanks, hope this will fix the issue for Calc. Excel opens as text as well but it does so in excel not in word (like libre would). So you can go trough the "text to column" wizard and "adjust column width" to make it lined out nicely. But that's kinda tedious compared to just having to click ok if you use Calc to open the file (currently with txt extension).

Looking into making a macro for excel now but I'm already running into problems (macro disappearing, how to select all rows etc.).

edit: Macro is working now, but still prefer to use libre.

Back