Not Enough Memory

doug1026

Hi. I new, so please be patient with me. I am trying to run HWINFO.EXE on a DOS system (6.2), but when I try to load
it, the system tells be that the 'Program is too big to load into Memory.' Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug1026

Hello,

i have been using the Windows version of the program for a long time and it`s one of the best I`ve seen. I just noticed that there is a dos version which is even kept up to date. Very nice and useful for non booting systems.
Back to topic. I have the same error too. I have 3 computers at home and the program works flawlessly on the 2 older ones. I get the Out of Memory error on the recent one (Gigabyte MA785, Phenom II 555). It seems that the program does not get enough memory is dos mode on this machine even though it has 4GB. The disquette run Dos 7 (XP) I beleive and does not have a single TSR loaded at startup, so there is nothing loaded beside command.com. I am not sure it`s your program but if you have a clue on what`s happening, i`ll appreciate.
Tx

For DOS it's important how much "system memory" (memory under 640KB) is available to system, so it doesn't matter how much total physical memory is available. I'd advise to use a pure old MS-DOS 5.x or 6.x bootable floppy (or create a bootable USB stick with pure MS-DOS) and load HIMEM.SYS only. Also using DOS=HIGH might bring some additional free memory.

armaggedon51 said:
Hello,

i have been using the Windows version of the program for a long time and it`s one of the best I`ve seen. I just noticed that there is a dos version which is even kept up to date. Very nice and useful for non booting systems.
Back to topic. I have the same error too. I have 3 computers at home and the program works flawlessly on the 2 older ones. I get the Out of Memory error on the recent one (Gigabyte MA785, Phenom II 555). It seems that the program does not get enough memory is dos mode on this machine even though it has 4GB. The disquette run Dos 7 (XP) I beleive and does not have a single TSR loaded at startup, so there is nothing loaded beside command.com. I am not sure it`s your program but if you have a clue on what`s happening, i`ll appreciate.
Tx

Back