Older hardware

Planetdune

I am preparing to mass catalog loads of retro hardware. Got at test bench up and running with a motherboard that has support for ISA, PCI and universal AGP. It runs Win98SE. Now, I did some sample tests and noticed HWInfo32 does not really detect ISA hardware. Tried with common items (such as a SB16, see screenshot), and some less common hardware (see other screenshots).

My question, does HWInfo32 have difficulties with ISA stuff? Should I run the DOS version? Should I set up a second test bench running DOS 6.22 or is DOS mode in 98SE enough as long as it is the DOS version of HWInfo?

My second question, I added a SBLive 5.1 PCI card earlier and HWInfo showed me the name of the card but about nothing more. I take it doesn't detect additional specs from sound cards (like it does with video cards)?

Attachments

• sb16.jpg
    sb16.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 4
  • old4.jpg
    old4.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 4
  • old3.jpg
    old3.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 4
  • old1.jpg
    old1.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 4
  • old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 4
Such older ISA cards might be better supported in the DOS version. There are some tests/operations that cannot be performed under Windows 98 as it might crash the system.
The DOS version can provide more information about legacy SB cards, for Windows it might require a later OS like Win2k or WinXP.

Back