PC random shutoff caused by HWinfo64

fufsgfen

I'm posting this to seek out if someone has experienced similar behavior.

What happens is that when HWInfo64 is running PC all of sudden shuts off, like pulling power cord out from the wall socket, not a crash, power just cuts off.

It only happens when HWInfo64 is running and usually only when hardware load is minimal or none.

It has been happening two years as long as I have used HWInfo64

Way I use HWInfo64 is that I have only sensors running for monitoring purposes, settings are default pretty much, but polling interval I used to have at 250ms however it was changed some time ago so that I can't log anymore with 250ms interval which was very useful for single core CPU thread logging during game session and performance analysis.

Anyway no matter if I have logging on or not, PC randomly shuts off, but never under heavy load.

Only components that have been same during two years are Samsung SM951 M2 NVMe drive, Seasonic Platinum 460W fanless PSU and Kingston Hyper-X 2666Mhz CL15 DDR4, 4x4GB

Have experienced issue with two different setups with same Windows 8.1 install:
I7-6700
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
Geforce GTX 1050Ti

I7-8086K
Gigabyte Gaming K3
Geforce GTX 1080

Last crash was with MSI Afterburner running and HWInfo64 providing VRM temp and CPU fan speed for MSI Afterburner on screen display, game Assetto Corsa was running and I was adjusting car settings on track

Having MSI Afterburner running or not seems not to affect situation at all.

Gigabyte's fan control requires to run Gigabytes own software, 32bit EasyTuneEngineService, can't remember if I tested with that forced to off during these years, but I have done quite bit of testing eliminating variables so might of tested that too.

So HWInfo64 does not see much use for now on my system because of this issue and in high hopes I write here if someone would of experienced similar and has found solution or reason for this behavior, which might save a little time.

Sadly issue is totally random, it may not happen for whole day or it may happen 5 minutes from starting HWInfo64, more so after heavy load when computer is at idle.

With 250ms logging and without this PC shutting off issue, I definitely could pay something from this piece of software as it would be very useful.

Such issue is quite difficult to diagnose. As first I'd suggest to start by trying to disable monitoring of sensors (hit the Del key over a sensor heading) and then try if you can find a sensor which when you disable will not cause shutdowns anymore.

Martin said:
Such issue is quite difficult to diagnose. As first I'd suggest to start by trying to disable monitoring of sensors (hit the Del key over a sensor heading) and then try if you can find a sensor which when you disable will not cause shutdowns anymore.

Indeed, this is kinda tricky, but thank you from suggestion, first I did disable everything that had to do voltages and wattages, at least that did not help. I try disabling more, and report if I find culprit. If it does shutdown even everything disabled, then we really have a tricky thing to deal with, I hope it does not go to that.

This is probably not much help, but with these only enabled there has not been shutdowns so far, but sometimes it can work for weeks without shutdown, so still bit unsure, however it had lot of shutdowns before disabling sensors:
https://imgur.com/a/EdfHWnf

Also there is one other person who has experienced such, totally different kind of system 4th gen intel and Amd GPU etc.

It might take a while to pinpoint actual sensor that causes it, but apparently it might be that not ones enabled and perhaps not voltages either, but if I find it I come back and post more about it.

Can you try to disable only the entire mainboard sensor (GIGABYTE ... ITE...) and leave others enabled to see how it will behave?
Alternatively disable only disk SMART sensors..

Martin said:
Can you try to disable only the entire mainboard sensor (GIGABYTE ... ITE...) and leave others enabled to see how it will behave?
Alternatively disable only disk SMART sensors..

Sorry it has taken long time to reply, I have been busy with tasks that have not allowed crashing a PC.

Also had to swap motherboard and also other CPU in place of what I had before.

Anyway, before swapping out I had SMART disabled and there was no crashes, but also there was few other sensors disabled so sadly it is not really telling if those would be the cause.

Not sure when I get chance to test with new board as things tend to be quite hectic right now, but I will post findings when I do, sadly it takes longer than I hoped for.

Hello, i know this is a old post but after weeks searching for a cause for my pc random shutdown( after playing a game) and it not being underload, my problem is 90% like yours where sometimes my pc freezes then restart or simply shutdown and immediatly restart. I am also using MSI afterburner and hwinfo64 to GPU and CPU monitoring during games. Pheraps i found what is causing this shutdowns on my pc...
Did you solve your problem, was it really this issue?

Thanks!

Yes it might be, I highly recommend to upgrade to the latest version and then see if the issue persists.

Back