PC Randomly Shutting Off

Slaaneshi

Started happening the last week. PC was previously working fine but it's starting to randomly shut off and restart constantly; no BSOD or warning beforehand. Think I've ruled out CPU/GPU issues as it can happen after gaming for 3 minutes or 30 minutes on the same game, or just while doing something as inconsequential as browsing the internet using Chrome/loading Youtube videos. I've also run stress tests for hours in MSI Kombustor without anything happening. Memory checks have returned okay, which leads me to believe it's either my PSU or my motherboard. Hoping it's not the PSU as I've only purchased it within the last month and although I have the option to return it, getting a replacement would take a long time.

I've started logging before the crashes with HWiNFO and have attached some of the most recent log files below. I have no idea how to read the results properly so maybe somebody could help? Would be eternally grateful! Specs are below
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio
  • RAM: Netac DDR4 3200MHZ 32GB
  • PSU: MSI MPG A850GF 850W Power Supply
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3

Thank you

Attachments

• Desktop.7z
    690.9 KB · Views: 2
Started happening the last week. PC was previously working fine but it's starting to randomly shut off and restart constantly; no BSOD or warning beforehand. Think I've ruled out CPU/GPU issues as it can happen after gaming for 3 minutes or 30 minutes on the same game, or just while doing something as inconsequential as browsing the internet using Chrome/loading Youtube videos. I've also run stress tests for hours in MSI Kombustor without anything happening. Memory checks have returned okay, which leads me to believe it's either my PSU or my motherboard. Hoping it's not the PSU as I've only purchased it within the last month and although I have the option to return it, getting a replacement would take a long time.

I've started logging before the crashes with HWiNFO and have attached some of the most recent log files below. I have no idea how to read the results properly so maybe somebody could help? Would be eternally grateful! Specs are below
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio
  • RAM: Netac DDR4 3200MHZ 32GB
  • PSU: MSI MPG A850GF 850W Power Supply
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3

Thank you

I have the exact same symptoms as you do: intermittent crashes without BSOD. Windows reports only LiveKernelEvents with power related errors.
Currently I can't offer any solutions, but what I suggest you do is download the HWINFO addon Generic Log Viewer. Look for the maker's video on youtube for how to use it. You can select your logfile and pick sensors to inspect. It will produce a chart that might tell you more.

I've had a look at yours. Your "Logging 2.csv" is a 1h32m long log. If this log was made during a crash it seems like it happened during a 100% load on your GPU, but only for about four minutes. I do see that the GPU PCIe +12V input voltage is at its lowest (11,75V).

Perhaps it's a good idea to reseat the connectors coming from your PSU and clean them with some contact cleaner. If your PSU is a modular one (connectors on the PSU end) clean those as well. Don't forget to clean the connectors supplying power to your main board.

No idea if that is helpful. I'm no expert, but that's what I'm doing.

Back