PortableApps

If you check the discussion over there, you'll see that I did everything I was required to. Unfortunately I haven't got any response from the admin (John T. Haller). It's not the first time that such thing happened to me there, so I didn't bother anymore...

Is PortableApps really relevant.

I understood that I was getting a proper portable when I downloaded hw32_422.zip today
(rather than a make-believe Portable-ISED variant that makes temporary use of the registry)

Regards
Alan

I'm not sure if I understood exactly what you mean.
If you want to make the "portable" version of HWiNFO totally portable, just disable the "Remember Preferences" option in the Configure screen, which will avoid storing settings in registry. This is essentially a mode similar to a PortableApps version.

Martin said:
I'm not sure if I understood exactly what you mean.
If you want to make the "portable" version of HWiNFO totally portable, just disable the "Remember Preferences" option in the Configure screen, which will avoid storing settings in registry. This is essentially a mode similar to a PortableApps version.
My experience with PortableApps was very mixed.

Some Applications are designed for installing into Windows and store some stuff in the registry and other stuff in the user's profile,
and PortableApps will "Portabalize" them by capturing all the registry stuff and profile stuff in a dedicated Backup-X archive and replace all that stuff from Backup-Y which preserved the exit state of a previous run of the application,
and when (AND IF) the application has a proper termination then its exit state stuff is copied to Backup-Y and then Backup-X is restored so the the registry stuff and profile stuff is not affected
BUT
an abnormal failure will prevent restoration and leave a blemish on the registry and user profile,
and this blemish remains permanent if an appropriate "RunOnce" is not successful on the next start-up.

"True" portable applications may tolerate simultaneous operation of two instances,
which allows me to run a trusted version side by side with a new release so that I can satisfy myself that every change I can see is to my advantage,
or possibly decide to stick with the old and tell the developer what he has done wrong :rolleyes:

Regards
Alan

I did that a few times, we also exchanged a few e-mails in the past, but you see the result.
Maybe you (users) could try to push this request via their forum.
I'm still willing to create a PAF version of HWiNFO, but only in case it will be really noticed and processed by the PA staff.

I would vote for more users activity in this matter. Martin seems to be the most responsible, quickiest autor of software I know :) Of course, being so fast means sometimes few quirks or even bugs, but the slow speed issue is not on his side.

I did not believe that at all.

:) a few of my ex-colleagues said similar thing - that I'm too fast, but make bugs sometimes... you can't have everything ;) And it's impossible to test a tool like HWiNFO on all systems in the world...

Martin - nah, some speed could never hurt. Get speedy even with bugses fixing! :) And I have a bunch of pretty nonstandard and weird mainboards, so I can try HWiNFO on them too... But I never say a bad word to HWiNFO about the crash on the Sapphire A9RX480. This is the mobo fault and I would be complaining, if SpeedFan and CPU-Z never give me troubles. But because both of these apps crash badly too, then HWiNFO is excused :-D And this will be soon also history, unlike SpeedFan and CPU-Z.
Not to mention that the HWiNFO is:
- free
- portable
- show _WAY_ more infos and voltages that SpeedFan
- very configurable
- no crazy GUI, just nice minimalistic GUI
- works on Win2k (new versions of SpeedFan do not, OTOH CPU-Z run on Win98, while GPU-Z run on W2k up to 0.4.6 only)
- actively developed
So, who can complain about anything there? Sure is not bug-free, but nothing is bug-free. If and when bad kinks will be eradicated in reasonable time, then who can say single bad word there? ;)

wayne - first make SURE the guys react and make him say this publicaly, before asking again to check the inbox. How about it?

I have been just notified by John, that HWiNFO should be officially released on PortableApps on Monday.

Back