Problem with Asus gryphon z97 thermal probe sensor

zorvalth

The thermal probe sensor is placed in "ASUS EC: ASUS All Series" which I read may cause high system loads(which makes most of the games unplayble) which is exactly what happens to me. I really need my thermal probe sensors in OSD, is there any solution without disabling it, i couldnt find anything in the forum?... 

Thanks!

I'm afraid there's no other way, that's (unfortunately) how that sensor works.
Which exact thermal probe from those you need? Alternatively you might use the "Motherboard" or "CPU" temperature sensors under the Nuvoton NCT6791 sensor, which don't cause latency issues.

Martin said:
I'm afraid there's no other way, that's (unfortunately) how that sensor works.
Which exact thermal probe from those you need? Alternatively you might use the "Motherboard" or "CPU" temperature sensors under the Nuvoton NCT6791 sensor, which don't cause latency issues.

I placed the thermal probe on the back of my graphic card in the vrm area to measure vrm temperature because i'm overclocking. MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G doesnt have a thermal sensor on it. But the asus suit with the thermal stuff(which is terrible to work with) is reading the sensor without any slowdowns...

Does it mean that AIDA64 readout doesn't cause such latency problem? I'm sure it uses the same method to read those values.

Martin said:
Does it mean that AIDA64 readout doesn't cause such latency problem? I'm sure it uses the same method to read those values.

110% sure:

AIDA64: 0.1-0.4%, you can see the sensor is 83 degrees on asus and aida64

6jEGp70.png

HW64 with EC disabled 0.1-0.4% CPU

DxQTwR2.jpg

HW64 with EC enabled where the temp sensor is 5-12% CPU:

ClnmEXH.jpg

And my cpu is i7 4790k, its hard to imagine what would be on a lowend cpu...

AIDA64 doesn't seem to read all values that HWiNFO does, that might be the difference.
Try to disable only sensor values that you don't need under the ASUS EC sensor. What load do you see then?

Martin said:
AIDA64 doesn't seem to read all values that HWiNFO does, that might be the difference.
Try to disable only sensor values that you don't need under the ASUS EC sensor. What load do you see then?

In this scenario 3-7% but the game is still stuttering: 
TWFEzum.png

Second scenario still 3-7%
SdXFb5B.png

Tird scenario where i disable the whole category is normal 0.1-0.3%
B27AgbJ.png

Is it possible the thermal probe sensor can be read from two places, EC and Nuvoton NCT6791? Maybe thats why its working on AI suite and AIDA64...

No, I rather think that it's because HWiNFO reads also additional values that you don't see like Assistant Fan 1-3 and these could be causing the latency.
Since you don't have those fans connected, you can't disable them - this readout is disabled only if you disable the entire sensor.
Can you please attach the HWiNFO Debug File with sensor data ?

Martin said:
No, I rather think that it's because HWiNFO reads also additional values that you don't see like Assistant Fan 1-3 and these could be causing the latency.
Since you don't have those fans connected, you can't disable them - this readout is disabled only if you disable the entire sensor.
Can you please attach the HWiNFO Debug File with sensor data ?

this one? https://copy.com/Ns9nVsungW6l/HWiNFO32.DBG    this one is with EC disbled, look at the one in the next post.

Do you maybe have ASUS AI Suite running as well? That might cause the latency issues too.

Was that made with all values enabled in HWiNFO? That would then be half of the latency before (8%).

Martin said:
Please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_503_2601.zip
This will show the additional fans even when not connected, so it will give you a chance to disable those readouts.
Please try that a let me know what load do you observe.

Ok, we are on the right track, the cpu usage droped to 0.8-1.6%. In the game now there is a single short stutter every 3 seconds. I thinks the problem is that the hwinfo is missing one or two fan headers on my motherboard

I got:
CPU fan - connected
CPU opt(for dual cpu fans) - not connected
Cha fan 1 - not connected
Cha fan 2 - connected
Cha fan 3 - not connected
Cha fan 4 - not connected
Asst fan (for a small fan which comes with the gryphon armor kit ) - not connected

It basicaly feels that every 3 seconds the app freezes the game for a les then a second(probably is reading from some of the other fans...)

Thanks for the test. I don't think this is an issue of missing fan headers, but the amount of communication with the EC (number of sensor items read from EC). The more items it reads, the higher the latency.
One more idea - try to disable the "Evaluate ACPI Methods" option in HWiNFO if you see any difference. If you have this option disabled currently, try to enable it.

Back