Rainmeter no longer sees HWINFO after update

Do you have the sensors window of HWiNFO active too ?
Have you tried the HWiNFOSharedMemoryViewer if it can detect HWiNFO and shows sensor values ?

Martin said:
Do you have the sensors window of HWiNFO active too ?
Have you tried the HWiNFOSharedMemoryViewer if it can detect HWiNFO and shows sensor values ?

HWiNFOSharedMemoryViewer does not show HWINFO running.

I used RevoUninstaller and uninstalled both HWINFO and Rainmeter.

I redownloaded HWINFO and reinstalled.

I downloaded Rainmeter and reinstalled.

Same issue. Where can I get an older HWINFO for Windows?

Martin said:
Could this be perhaps something with access/security rights ? Are you running all as Administrator ?
You can download older versions of HWiNFO from here: http://www.oldfoss.com/HWiNFO.html

closed both. started HWiNFO as admin. started Rainmeter as admin. same issue

uninstalled HWiNFO with revo installer and installed 5.5.3 -3165. same issue

going to attempt this on another machine with a fresh install of OS and both related programs.

we'll see....

I am seeing the same problem here. I'm using Gadgets 2.3.0 and the latest beta version 5.54-3200 of HWinfo.

I'm seeing the same things as the other posters. CPU meter and the HWinfo plugin both do not show the temperature. The GPU plugin reports HWinfo not found, however it is indeed running, and even with the sensors window open and displaying information, nothing is shown for temperature or fan speeds or memory on the GPU meter though the memory is reported correctly on the CPU meter. The previous HWinfo beta was working correctly with Gadgets 2.3.0 (and 2.2.0) but the latest update broke things. 

I tried reverting to Gadgets 2.2.0, reverted to Rainmeter backups, downgraded the HWinfo to the released version. No combination of fully (as far as I can see) uninstalling everything and bringing it back up again winds up with a working display of temperature.

The latest [size=small]5.54-3200 HWinfo broke something that's still broken. I'm interested in ideas as to how to troubleshoot this and help to figure out what was broken. I don't seem to be able to go backwards to any version of Gadgets or HWinfo and get things working again. I had the full display on the CPU meter working great including temperature and the full set of memory, graphs and fan speed working on GPU meter, but it is all inoperative now.[/size]

I strongly doubt that some version of HWiNFO could have broken something that can't be reverted by using a previous version (if you believe there's a bug in later versions). HWiNFO doesn't perform any such permanent changes.
I have also tried to reproduce this problem, but can't - it works for me and HWiNFOSharedMemoryViewer always reports all data. Checked on the latest Windows 10 version.
Is it possible that some other change to the system (other software update, antivirus or Microsoft patch) has caused this ?

I don't think so. 

My OS is also Windows 10 Professional and there were no updates yesterday other than the usual Defender signature updates. The only thing I did to break the temperature reporting in the CPU meter and the reporting in GPU meter was after getting the beta update popup window from HWinfo, and installing that as I have done many times before, i.e. stop the existing HWinfo, extract the Beta, copy the HWinfo executable file into the existing HWinfo (64-bit) directory, I did not copy the .ini file as I have already a working setup, and started HWinfo as admin, all as has worked flawlessly each time I have done this before. Usually in a few seconds the temperature displays pop up, the GPU meter displays activate in Rainmeter, and I'm done. 

That did not happen this time. No temp displays and GPU meter reports that it can't find HWinfo. Also, I tried the HWinfo gadget and that can't see the temps either.

I tried everything I could think of to revert to earlier versions of Gadgets (likely not the problem) and HWinfo to see if it fixed the issue (likely is the problem as that one update was the thing I did that broke things.)

With "HWinfo gadget" you mean the HWiNFOMonitor gadget or the simple HWiNFO Sidebar Gadget (HWiNFO64.gadget) ?

Can you please post a screenshot of that gadget, I'm still not sure which one you mean.
But if it's the HWiNFO Sidebar Gadget, then it works absolutely different from other gadgets. If the problem would be in interface of HWiNFO to other gadgets, this one should not be affected.
When you have HWiNFO running, do you see sensor values refreshing in the sensors window ?

Wiped the H/D and reinstalled a fresh windows 10 ON A DIFFERENT PC.
downloaded the current hwinfo and installed
downloaded the current rainmeter and installed
downloaded the current ModernGadges skin and installed
rebooted
same issue.

HWiNFO64 rainmeter skin (customized) was working wonderfully before I closed HWiNFO, now rainmeter & the Monitor gadget are not detecting.

I've found that if I launch HWiNFO64 as a user, then I cannot relaunch as an administrator (after quitting).

If I change the PersistentDriver state from checked to unchecked, & remove driver, the dialog states that it is still installed, however when I re-launch, I get an error message declaring that the driver cannot be installed, flagging 'user rights' and 'antivirus filters' as possible issues.

Will try a reboot. I've noticed some conflicting program states between the two user accounts {admin, user) that I run.

HWiNFO cannot install the driver if you're not running it as Administrator. This is a general security rule.
So first you need to run it as Administrator with the Persistent Driver option enabled, which will install the driver and keep it in the system.

Hey guys, first post. (Hi)

I just registered to jump in on this thread and voice my issues with HWINFO/Rainmeter_v4.1 as well since it looks like there are still issues at hand from one end or the other (not really sure which).

Anyways, I have a brand new laptop (Dell 7577 w/i7 7700HQ & GTX1060MQ) I just got and gutted before doing a clean vanilla install of Windows 10, Windows 7, and Ubuntu as a triple boot from my main NVMeSSD. All O/S's run flawlessly and are up to date with all correct drivers installed. Anyways, looking to replace gadgets from Windows 7 due to it being insecure, I came across Rainmeter and downloaded the Modern Gadgets [ gadgets_3_0_1_by_silverazide-d8n4kvx.rmskin ] skins and got everything setup and installed while booted into Windows 7. After some fiddling and tinkering, everything was working perfectly in my Windows 7 environment. I rebooted several times to make sure everything stuck and was stable and it all checked out fine.

Next I rebooted into my Windows 10 environment and installed the same exact Rainmeter_4.1 EXE as I used on Windows 7. I also installed the same exact EXE for HWINFO64 that I used from the Windows 7 installation and it went off without a hitch. I set all my settings exactly the same, then pointed Rainmeter to the common STORAGE partition my multiboot Windows share where the skins I had downloaded and configured in the previous Win7 environment were located and my Windows 10 install of Rainmeter refreshed and loaded all my pre-configured skins perfectly.

However, in the Win10 environment the HWINFO warning is displayed and there is no info present for my GPU meters that work perfect in a Windows 7 install. To double check I rebooted into Windows 7 and they were just fine as I had left them. Rebooted again back into Win10 and still no dice. Next I tried rolling back to older HWINFO v5.46 because I thought I saw someone in another forum thread mention pre-5.5 HWINFO worked normally. Still no dice. Next I jumped up to the beta of HWINFO and still no dice. I am back to the current final version being installed again.

Next I plan to investigate some compatibility workarounds to see if any of them work. But first I should probably try rolling back to Rainmeter_v3.3.3 or up to a beta in my Win10 environment and see if there is any relief. All said, I can use other things to monitor my GPUs but I do really love the Modern Gadgets set that mimic the old ones.

@maleko48: That looks like some problem with configuration of values shown in Rainmeter.
There can be differences in what sensors are reported on Windows 7 and 10 and so the sensor layout passed into Rainmeter might differ.
I suggest to check all sensor values reported in HWiNFO and verify which values are used by Rainmeter. You can use the HWiNFOSharedMemoryViewer tool to check this.

Martin said:
@maleko48: That looks like some problem with configuration of values shown in Rainmeter.
There can be differences in what sensors are reported on Windows 7 and 10 and so the sensor layout passed into Rainmeter might differ.
I suggest to check all sensor values reported in HWiNFO and verify which values are used by Rainmeter. You can use the HWiNFOSharedMemoryViewer tool to check this.

Yes, I have considered this as well. I have skimmed for differences but I do need to go through every item 1 by 1 and double check all the ID's for sure. I may consider trying a portable Rainmeter install as well. Thanks for the tips, I will be looking into this further when I can find the time.

I had the same problem when I upgraded to the latest version, but have just found a solution that worked for me.  I was looking at the HWiNFO64 sensor status page and noticed the little gear icon at the bottom.  Clicking on that took me to the sensor settings dialog.  On the last tab is a NWiNFO Gadget tab where you will find a checkbox for "Enable reporting to Gadget".  Mine was disabled.  As soon as I enabled it, my Rainmeter data all came back online.

https://prnt.sc/j4keux

Back