Since installing new HWinfo version, program will not start.

Reikoji

The load up gets to 'Analyzing Devices..' and then it just closes with no error. Uninstalling and reinstalling no dice. It was running version 7.17-4660 beta before installing 7.24 just fine, and now that wont even run. Attached debug file.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    100.7 KB · Views: 1
Seems to be some problem with WMI in system and it might not be related to the new HWiNFO version.
No problem with other applications/tools? Can you run "wmic" from command line?

Seems to be some problem with WMI in system and it might not be related to the new HWiNFO version.
No problem with other applications/tools? Can you run "wmic" from command line?
prompt line switches to wmic:root\cli when i enter it. I can run applications like Ryzen Master still without error. I also cannot run 7.17-4660 or any other install or beta version now, the they all terminate at the same point since the installation.

Have you upgraded Windows or installed something else when the issue started?

Have you upgraded Windows or installed something else when the issue started?
I had updated my board bios, 4201 on Crosshair VIII Formula. Windows did some culmative updates and .net updates beforehand too. After Updating my bios and fixing settings I wanted to check for Whea errors, which worked fine until I installed the new version. 7.17.4460 ran and opened after 2 resets just fine, then I went ahead and downloaded and installed the latest version, and it just stops loading.

I think it might be caused by some of the Windows updates you performed. Try to reboot the system.

Last edited:
I think it might be caused by some of the Windows updates you performed. Try to reboot the system.
Ive been trying that with no dice, and also uninstalled the windows update that installed on that day and no dice. Tried reinstalling Hwinfo after, also onto a different drive, and same deal.

But... I think I found a possible cause. After flipping through some different program settings to try to get it to load, it appears changing the language before pressing start it without restarting the welcome screen gets me in. Doesn't matter which language I switch to, and I can even switch right back to the previous language. But I have to do this every time or it still wont progress past Analyzing Devices. After trying a few more things with that, just re-selecting the language already set also gets me passed analyzing devices. If I close the program, reopen, and just press start without doing this, it closes at Analyzing devices.

Tho, since I cant even normally run a reinstalled 7.14, its likely either the new bios or some prior windows update is causing the installation to be borked somehow, but im not sure. I haven't exactly installed a new version for a very long time, so it really could have been any change that occurred after installing 7.14 before installing 7.24

Attachments

• unknown_2022.06.20-01.23.png
    unknown_2022.06.20-01.23.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks. This is very weird, it crashes during a call to initialize COM interface and I really don't understand why it does so and why after changing language it suddenly works. That call is an ordinary system routine that should not be crashing. Are you perhaps running HWiNFO with some Compatibility Mode?

Hi,
I seem to be having a similar issue. HWinfo64 will not launch. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting etc. The build that you attached worked for me, but the normal build does not. It was working perfectly fine last night, and upon starting my computer today it did not launch with windows and will not launch.

Hi,
I seem to be having a similar issue. HWinfo64 will not launch. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting etc. The build that you attached worked for me, but the normal build does not. It was working perfectly fine last night, and upon starting my computer today it did not launch with windows and will not launch.

The build I posted here wasn't supposed to fix the problem, so that might be something else. Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File when it doesn't start.

Here is the debug file from the build that you sent, I cant get the normal build to a point where I can even get it into debug mode. Is this good enough?

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Here is the debug file from the build that you sent, I cant get the normal build to a point where I can even get it into debug mode. Is this good enough?
This problem seems to be due to the Xbox controller. Try to disconnect it.

Yep that fixed it... weird. I feel like Ive had it plugged in before and it has worked. Thanks for the help!

Well, this controller seems to cause issues in some cases. Unfortunately the problem seems to lie in standard USB functions that should not crash or hang and I haven't found a way how to workaround this.
Anyway, this problem is different from OP.

Thanks. This is very weird, it crashes during a call to initialize COM interface and I really don't understand why it does so and why after changing language it suddenly works. That call is an ordinary system routine that should not be crashing. Are you perhaps running HWiNFO with some Compatibility Mode?
I checked and have no compatibility options set with Hwinfo. Don't believe I've ever have. I've no doubt its not the programs fault. I'm betting reinstalling windows will probably fix it. or maybe this is Microsoft's attempt to get me to upgrade to 11, make my normally working programs stop working right. Just weird changing language makes it work.

Got an update to this. I tried to see if it crashes or opens with auto-start, since enabling that option turns off show welcome screen option when enabled and results in skipping both the welcome screen and windows administrative privilege's popup, and it loads @ windows startup with autostart enabled and show welcome screen disabled.

Did another test but had show startup screen enabled with auti-start. The welcome screen appeared at windows startup but without the windows administrative privilege's popup, and the program ran immediately after pressing start and did not crash at analyzing devices.

Last edited:
Interesting and weird.. Seems like an issue in Windows, perhaps the next Windows Update will fix that.

Back