t-junction or t-core

jonafc

I understand the difference of "t-junction" & "t-core" temratures in terms of what they are reading in terms of CPU sensors.

What confuses me is, I have downloaded several CPU temperature reading Apps for my Intel dual core processor. They seem to differ by 10 degrees between the Apps, either higher or lower.

HWINFO says this :

"In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video ..."

HWINFO is 1 of the Apps that is 10 degrees lower than some of the others, is it because it's reading the "t-core" temperature which is "on-die core thermal sensors".

Any simple clarification would be greatly appreciated, :huh:

intel core 2 duo p7450 (dell laptop)

ok, it seems like the URL explains it well in terms of accuracy. how does this apply to AMD CPU's?

and also, is the reading the "t-case" or "t-junction"

man so confusing, I really need to understand this for AMD CPU's ?

For Core 2 Duo P7450, all tools can only guess the correct Tj,max value which is used to calculate the final temperature. So the difference of 10 C means that different tools use different values, but actually nobody knows exactly what the right one should be. You can see/adjust the currently used Tj,max in HWiNFO by right-clicking on the sensor value.

Regarding AMD CPUs, this is even more mysterious and depends on the actual CPU family. Later ones provide very erratic temperatures especially in the lower range. This has been discussed a few times here.

Martin said:
For Core 2 Duo P7450, all tools can only guess the correct Tj,max value which is used to calculate the final temperature. So the difference of 10 C means that different tools use different values, but actually nobody knows exactly what the right one should be. You can see/adjust the currently used Tj,max in HWiNFO by right-clicking on the sensor value.

Regarding AMD CPUs, this is even more mysterious and depends on the actual CPU family. Later ones provide very erratic temperatures especially in the lower range. This has been discussed a few times here.

thanks ^^

Back