Understanding readings.

Peagle

Hi, 
As I have said in another thread, I'm trying to troubleshoot framerate drops when in VR.

I noticed the drops most of the time does come when the reading "Performance Limit - Reliability voltage" goes to "yes".

Can someone tell me more about that and if it is the factor that limits performance ?

Thank you very much.

Hi Peagle,

will be helpful if you upload a HWINFO logfile, recorded during your tests -> more people can have a look at it ...

Regards
Tom

Yes, 
here it is, not everything is recorded but a lot of informations. 
I hope the useful ones are in otherwise just telll me and I will do it again.

File PCars2 is 2 sessions of Project cars 2 using VR on the 22nd of september.
I'm trying to find why it is falling below 45FPS at some points.

File FC5 is 3 sessions of Far Cry 5 (non VR).

I've seen as well two different behaviours: 
In PC2, the voltage when reliability is on "yes" can go as low as 0.9 ish
In FC5 the voltage when reliability is on "yes" is 1.04 or higher.

Mind that some columns may be hidden but the data is still on the excel sheet.

Edit links :
http://peagle.free.fr/Hw/PCars2-2209.xlsx
http://peagle.free.fr/Hw/FC-2909.xlsx

I did put the xlsx files in but it did not work, here are the CSV (if it works that time :) )

Edit : (the PCars one are too heavy, is there a way to bypass the size limit ?)

Attachments

• FC5.CSV
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 3
  • FC5 3.CSV
    848.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FC5 2.CSV
    747.5 KB · Views: 1
You can attach them directly to this thread:

• "New Attachment"   (select file)
  • "Add Attachment"    (this upload the file!)
  • "Insert Into Post"
If logfiles are too big: zip the files and upload the zipped-files. Zipped textfiles need only < 10% of original size.

Hi Peagle,

first: the good news: your CPU is not the problem, loads and temperatures are at any time OK !

Far Cry 5

I think the situation is clear: your GPU is on the limit = 100% Core Load:

[attachment=3041]

Tip: reduce the graphic settings in the game until GPU load is 90-100% during game benchmark!

Project Cars

Here it's more tricky, we have high but not critical loads on CPU and GPU (70-80%):

[attachment=3042]

But we have a lot of "Performance Limit - Power" = Yes (?). Does your Power Supply has enough power?
@Martin: do you know what this means
  • Performance Limit - Power = Yes
  • Performance Limit - Utilization = Yes
Regards
Tom

Attachments

• FC5.jpg
    FC5.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 15
  • PC.jpg
    PC.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 15
My PSU should be more than enough (850W).

Here is what I do not understand:
[attachment=3043]

GPU goes down to 0% and FPS drops below 45 several times.
And all that time reliability limit is set to yes.

Attachments

• PC.jpg
    PC.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 8
Those "Performance Limit" values just determine why the GPU reduced the clock values below maximum level. "Utilization" means that GPU's engines are not sufficiently utilized (low load/idle). "Power" means that that the maximum designed power level was exceeded.

Martin said:
Those "Performance Limit" values just determine why the GPU reduced the clock values below maximum level. "Utilization" means that GPU's engines are not sufficiently utilized (low load/idle). "Power" means that that the maximum designed power level was exceeded.

If you take a look at the first line of my image, it is power reliability, can you explain that one to me as well please ?

Can it be, that those GPU 0% values with low FPS values occured during walking through the menus of the game? I know from DX 11 games, where the FPS number of FRAPS is shown in the corner, that the FPS can drop down to 15-30 in the menus ... and the load for the GPU is typically also very low in the menus.

Contain the logfiles continous gaming? ... or is there also some menu changing (e.g. walk through settings) included?

TomWoB said:
Can it be, that those GPU 0% values with low FPS values occured during walking through the menus of the game? I know from DX 11 games, where the FPS number of FRAPS is shown in the corner, that the FPS can drop down to 15-30 in the menus ... and the load for the GPU is typically also very low in the menus.

Contain the logfiles continous gaming? ... or is there also some menu changing (e.g. walk through settings) included?

No, these happen in races and is why I'm trying to find the reason for these readings and FPS drops.

It's a shame NVidia does not explain that beacause I feel like it's part of the problem I have.

Thank you very much to you two.

Hi Peagle,

interesting is, that the FPS drop downs were during your "Virtual Memory" has changed a lot > 1GB:

[attachment=3052]

Because it's "Virtual Memory", I assume there was some disk operation (even it's not shown in the logs). The two drop downs < 20 FPS are only 1 and 2 seconds long, maybe this is the time needed to reserve/free 1 GB of virtual memory (?).

Attachments

• Virtual.jpg
    Virtual.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 7
I'll try and do other (long sessions) logging drive activities.
This may show interesting things.

Thank you again.

Back