Virtual Memory Confusion

Dave1001

I have 32gb of ram/physical memory, and checking the Virtual Memory in Windows settings, it seems to be set to ~4800mb which appears to be the default. I saw that Virtual Memory is/should be at least 1.5x your physical memory, which comes out to 48gb

checking HWInfo, the Virtual Memory Committed and Virtual Memory Available add up to 37; however, shouldn't it be coming out to 48? on idle, Virtual Memory Committed seems to be at a constant 8mb-10mb, I'm not sure if that's normal, good, or bad, since I've never really interacted with Virtual Memory before

1692597123051.png
this is taken while playing Destiny 2; the Physical Memory checks out with what I usually see in Task Manager, but I'm just sort of lost when it comes to Virtual Memory. on idle I have a V. Memory Load of around 24%, and under this load I have a V. Memory Load off 44%; is this the kind of behavior I should be seeing?

and what about the total Virtual Memory? adding the Committed memory to the Available memory always lands me with 37; however, shouldn't I have around 48gb of Virtual Memory with 32gb of ram, by default? just trying to understand what's normal here

I don't think there's a general rule how large the virtual memory should be when it's automatically managed by Windows (which is default). You can however change the swap file (page file) size in Windows to a custom value and then compare.

I don't think there's a general rule how large the virtual memory should be when it's automatically managed by Windows (which is default). You can however change the swap file (page file) size in Windows to a custom value and then compare.
so 45% usage is nothing to worry about, I assume?

Back