What Does Red Power Reporting Deviation Actually Mean?

Dave1001

I understand Power Reporting Deviation, and how it only 'matters' under full CPU load, with deviations <90% or >110% being the bad values, but what does it actually mean for the CPU and Motherboard if the PRD is in the red? (or >110). <100 means it's under-reporting and >100 means it's over-reporting, so if the values were red at 100% load, does that mean...the CPU or Motherboard is dying? what does it actually entail?

furthermore, "full CPU load" would mean the C0 States are at 100% right? like for example, during a Cinebench benchmark, it pushes all the cores into full on state. so does that mean Power Reporting Deviation also doesn't matter during gaming loads, where the majority of the CPU is actually in C1 State?

when I run games, the value of the PRD is usually still within 92-110+ with good temps and voltages and whatnot.

when I run Cinebench, the PRD is pretty consistently at 94-96%

while watching youtube, it pretty much never goes below 90% except for 2 weird occasions (not sure if it matters since the sensor says it only means anything at "full load"?)

finally, if I don't have games, youtube, or calls running on my pc, and I'm just completely idle or just browsing, then that's when the PRD goes into the red, which I've attributed to as normal behavior since I'm not really doing anything

The value is displayed in red color if it's < 90%.

I get that, and I understand that motherboards 'lie' to the CPU, but if the value is red, is that an indicator of a fault or failure? that's just the thing I don't understand

it says the value only matters under 'full CPU load at stock settings'. that means the reading can be ignored in games, right? since that isn't a 'full CPU load'. also I have Eco Mode 65w so I'm not sure if that means PRD can be fully ignored or not

It doesn't mean anything else. The rest is explained in the thread above; it has no meaning when the CPU is not under full load.

It doesn't mean anything else. The rest is explained in the thread above; it has no meaning when the CPU is not under full load.
so that means <90% and >110% doesn't reflect on the current health of the CPU and Motherboard at all then? it's just a case of the motherboard harmlessly lying to the CPU?

I get around 95% in Cinebench although I doubt that matters since I have Eco Mode enabled, but good to know, the article is very informative

oh something else I wanted to clear up after combing the thread. when you hover over the reading in the HWInfo app, it says "<100 results in under-reporting, making the CPU think it is running at lower power than it actually is" and that "100> results in over-reporting, making the CPU think it is running at higher power than it actually is"

yet I see a comment in the thread replying to someone and saying that "numbers above 100= lower power consumption and less heat, while numbers below 100= higher power consumption and more heat". are they incorrect, is the app incorrect, or am I reading one of these wrong?

< 100% means underreporting, so the CPU runs at higher power than it thinks.

< 100% means underreporting, so the CPU runs at higher power than it thinks.
1684661175424.png
this is what the app says when hovering over the PRD on latest version that's all, which is why I asked. since it says <100 = lower, and 100> = higher

Back