5800H tctl vs package

diGriz

Hello.

Sorry if I missed some topic but as I check by "package / cpu package temperature / etc..." I did find lot other topics not according to my.

My main question is why on my Legion 5 Pro with 5800H there is no package temperature?

As I guess TCTL is now shown instead of previous TSI temperature? Am I right?
But in some other software like hwmonitor it is still presented as package temperature.

And as I guess that my package in hwmonitor / tctl in hwinfo is higher than ALL other cpu sensors by 2-10 degrees is still ok?

Do you have sensor tooltips activated? That will tell you what exactly each value means.

Do you have sensor tooltips activated? That will tell you what exactly each value means.
I have and I see that tctl is the highest temperature of cpu, but it still is bigger than any other sensor I can see.
And I can't see package as I used to so I asked here

Zen CPUs have different and more accurate thermal sensors from previous generations, the "CPU Package (TSI)" value is not reported here.

Zen CPUs have different and more accurate thermal sensors from previous generations, the "CPU Package (TSI)" value is not reported here.
So can you please confirm if I am right:
1. For this type of processor there is no TSI and only overall temperatures are just CPU and TCTL?
2. CPUID HWMONITOR still showing CPU package temperature and it seems to me that's just a mistake and it is probably TCTL?
3. How can TCTL can be higher than every other sensor? Probably same like package before had some offset?

There is TSI here too but reporting temperature via TSI in the past was just a sort of workaround to at least get some reasonable value from pre-Zen CPUs as their temperature sensors were on an arbitrary scale or reporting nonsense. "CPU Package" was just a calling convention back then.
I can't speak for software from other vendors as I have no insight into their code or reasons for naming sensors.
Tctl can be higher because it reports the highest instant value while "CPU Die (average)" reports an average value among all core sensors. The latter one is the value also reported by AMD's own Ryzen Master.

I got CPU (Tctl/Tdie) in one line. It shows the value higher than any other line.
But as there is no any other line showing the same temperature so I can't really understand where does it take the data from...

Last edited:
The CPU/APU has dozens of sensors, not just in cores but other parts as well. Providing a single temperature means there's either the maximum reported or values are aggregated (averaged).

When I had intel - everything seemed a bit clearer even with old ones... 1st Ryzen I got...
Ok, so everything is ok as I don't see the package temperature on Ryzen and my Tctl is higher than every other parameter from 2 to 10 degree in your opinion?

Great.
1 more thing as you probably know this better - wanted to undervolt laptop as I used to intel's and they performed much better with this.
But it seems I need to unlock this possibility for Ryzen and there are too many assurances with 100% opposite opinion of this possibility and effect of such procedure.
Can you give your opinion? Recommend any software, good topic or so to read?

I liked it when was just needed intel xtreme utility and everything was rather easy, seems Ryzen Master is the same but not for H series.

Back