Alienware fan speed working but no status in hwinfo

aryan1357

Hello everyone

I recently got my alienware 17 r3 repaired and when i turn it back on , in hwinfo i can make changes to both cpu fan and gpu fan, but i can't  see the changes of speed of gpu fan as cpu fan RPM is showed. i dont know the reason should i try any latest version.Please guide me guys.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    970.8 KB · Views: 3
Sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand the problem. Is it that you can see the CPU fan speed, but GPU fan speed doesn't show up ?

Martin said:
Sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand the problem. Is it that you can see the CPU fan speed, but GPU fan speed doesn't show up ?

Exactly i can see CPU fan speed but no GPU fan speed.one more thing that is i can change both the sliders perfectly ,fans were also fine.only thing is i cant see GPU fan speed.As in the attachment pic i put both fans at high speeds but only i see cpu fan speed in hwinfo,no gpu fan speed even if it's spinning at same speeds as cpu fan.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    168.4 KB · Views: 11
Well, 6300 RPM doesn't look OK to me either. Seems like the entire fan speed logic is not working properly.
Was HWiNFO showing correct fan speeds before the repair ?

Another thing you could try is to temporary disable "EC Support" in HWiNFO and check if/what speeds you get - you should see a different (DELL) sensor in this mode. Please let me know the results.

Martin said:
Well, 6300 RPM doesn't look OK to me either. Seems like the entire fan speed logic is not working properly.
Was HWiNFO showing correct fan speeds before the repair ?

Another thing you could try is to temporary disable "EC Support" in HWiNFO and check if/what speeds you get - you should see a different (DELL) sensor in this mode. Please let me know the results.

Yes i'm using hwinfo since i bought the laptop and it's always same.To just let you know alienware 17 r2,r3 has option in BIOS that is FAN performance mode which keep FAN's at high speeds all the time even if we don't need.so i check by enabling that option in bios and its the same RPM speed when i turn on FAN sliders in HWINFO.Also i see after disabling EC support i see no CPU fan or GPU fan speed but both are working when i slided way up to 5000RPM

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    219.3 KB · Views: 14
The DELL EC sensor you posted is disabled in HWiNFO, so please right-click on the sensor heading and choose Enable Monitoring. Then please post what speeds you get.

Martin said:
The DELL EC sensor you posted is disabled in HWiNFO, so please right-click on the sensor heading and choose Enable Monitoring. Then please post what speeds you get.

Sorry my bad here you go.but now also i see only the cpu fan speed.no gpu fan speed even if its spinning.May i know what's causing the issue?

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    125.6 KB · Views: 11
Well, Fan2 should be the GPU fan in this case. And it seems that both methods (including the DELL one) report the GPU fan as 0 RPM most of the time.
This looks like a hardware/firmware problem. You might try to run DELL diagnostics to check both fans, or contact DELL support about this problem.

Martin said:
Well, Fan2 should be the GPU fan in this case. And it seems that both methods (including the DELL one) report the GPU fan as 0 RPM most of the time.
This looks like a hardware/firmware problem. You might try to run DELL diagnostics to check both fans, or contact DELL support about this problem.

Fans are working fine running at full speeds but i can't see that in hwinfo.Is there any other way to rectify this issue.

As I already said - if you're sure both fans are spinning then the problem with reporting their speed is either in firmware or hardware, not in HWiNFO.
To confirm this try to run DELL Diagnostics, it might have modules to test fan speeds (including their speed reporting).

Just another idea - the GPU seems to be powered off (by NVIDIA Optimus) when it's not used.
Try to wake it up and see if perhaps then you can see the fan speed. Sometimes it's sufficient to open the NVIDIA Control Panel (with the spinning NVIDIA logo) to wake it up. Then you should also see additional GPU details, but I'm not sure about the fan speed.

Martin said:
As I already said - if you're sure both fans are spinning then the problem with reporting their speed is either in firmware or hardware, not in HWiNFO.
To confirm this try to run DELL Diagnostics, it might have modules to test fan speeds (including their speed reporting).

Hello martin thanks for reporting the issue and also i tried to speak to dell alienware what they said was that they don't support the 3rd party software's to run on system which will conflict with the EC sensor.But i want to actually prove them that the GPU sensor was not working can you help how to do that? so that i can show them that it's hardware fault.

In that case the only way for a DELL-acceptable proof is to run the DELL Diagnostics tool. Some machines have diagnostics in the BIOS, for others you can download it from their site.
But I'd first suggest as above - try to wake the GPU up.

Martin said:
In that case the only way for a DELL-acceptable proof is to run the DELL Diagnostics tool. Some machines have diagnostics in the BIOS, for others you can download it from their site.
But I'd first suggest as above - try to wake the GPU up.

Thanks for the reply,how to wake up the GPU is there an option for that

Back