AMD GPU load doubt

chumanga

Hello Martin. Afterburner in default use official AMD GPU load reader which display inconsistent fluctuation usage going from 0 to 100% everytime while game performance is perfect fine, which give impression to be GPU monitor imprecision. This looks some problem in AMD own GPU reader, but Afterburner give an option called Unified GPU monitoring which i suspect is something from Microsoft directx windows side and it keep a 99-100% GPU reading when there is heavy load and no crazy fluctuation which is probably misreading from AMD monitoring side. GPU-Z has same problem what make me think they using AMD monitoring and give no option to change. But Hwinfo default GPU load is correct like GPU Unified monitoring.

So is Hwinfo using microsoft directx to monitoring AMD GPU load usage instead of AMD official reader? Or there is something else which i dont know.

I'm not sure how the "Unified GPU monitoring" in MSI AB works, but HWiNFO can read the usage from 2 sources: either using AMD public API (ADL) or straight from the hardware registers (which depends on particular GPU model). I have seen issues with ADL reporting, so it's possible that the 'good' method is the later one.

Martin said:
I'm not sure how the "Unified GPU monitoring" in MSI AB works, but HWiNFO can read the usage from 2 sources: either using AMD public API (ADL) or straight from the hardware registers (which depends on particular GPU model). I have seen issues with ADL reporting, so it's possible that the 'good' method is the later one.

In their statement Unified GPU monitoring is using D3DKMT to do the reading, so its from Direct3D and not from GPU hardware like HWinfo?

chumanga said:
Martin said:

In their statement Unified GPU monitoring is using D3DKMT to do the reading, so its from Direct3D and not from GPU hardware like HWinfo?

Correct.

Back