AsRock X99 Extreme4 false vcore reading

hwinfo.png.ed67bd7be0b098031d76efda79c480de.png

When I turn on my PC and I open up HWinfo, voltage starts from 0.5V and it slowly creeps up to 1.7V and then it stays there. (Or if my PC is on for 5 minutes and I open up HWinfo it shows that the Vcore is at 1.7V) I know that this is a bug because there is no way that my air cooler would have been able to handle that and because my CPU is running at stock and because both AsRock's A-tuning software and AIDA64 show that the Vcore is between 0.7V and 0.9V at idle and at 1.02V under load. 
BTW, since my CPU is running at stock shouldn't the Vcore be the same as the VID?

Is it perhaps so, that the Vcore you see in A-Tuning and AIDA64 is in fact the same as the VID shown in HWiNFO ?

Martin said:
Is it perhaps so, that the Vcore you see in A-Tuning and AIDA64 is in fact the same as the VID shown in HWiNFO ?

Yes, I think it is. But isn't that normal? Because my CPU is running at stock speeds. Isn't VID the stock Vcore?

VID is usually the voltage the CPU requests (and thinks it gets), while Vcore is usually the voltage measured that's supplied to the CPU.
I say "usually", because there can be exceptions depending on particular board design. On most Haswell-based systems due to the Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator (FIVR) in the CPU, Vcore measurement doesn't work properly, so most vendors has stopped relying on the Vcore value and instead switched to VID, which is more reliable in this case.

Martin said:
VID is usually the voltage the CPU requests (and thinks it gets), while Vcore is usually the voltage measured that's supplied to the CPU.
I say "usually", because there can be exceptions depending on particular board design. On most Haswell-based systems due to the Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator (FIVR) in the CPU, Vcore measurement doesn't work properly, so most vendors has stopped relying on the Vcore value and instead switched to VID, which is more reliable in this case.
My CPU is the Intel Core i7-5820K, which is a Haswell chip, so this Vcore reading is inaccurate, right?

Martin said:
Yes, I think so.

Thx, TBH, I think that my motherboard doesn't have a Vcore sensor, so HWiNFO is just guessing it, or it is reading a different sensor, because there is no way my CPU wouldn't have died if the Vcore was at 1.7V!

AFAIK, the Vcore reported by HWiNFO was the original Vcore sense used by ASRock, but later they switched to reporting VID instead. Probably because the value was not correct.
Since HWiNFO reports both VID and Vcore, the user will get both values.

Martin said:
AFAIK, the Vcore reported by HWiNFO was the original Vcore sense used by ASRock, but later they switched to reporting VID instead. Probably because the value was not correct.
Since HWiNFO reports both VID and Vcore, the user will get both values.
I can definitely see why they switched to VID.... Thx for the info Martin, appreciate it, I will check the VID instead of the Vcore from now on.  :shy:

Back