Asus Z87-Plus - BSOD when starting program

jst68

I have installed the latest version of HWiNFO yesterday. However, when I started it, it started showing me a popup screen saying that it is refreshing something before it failed with BSOD. The BSOD showed some storage message, but the crash was so bad that it didn't even start gathering the crash file. It basically completely froze my PC and I had to turn it off.

Unfortunately, the crash must have been so severe and sudden that it send my Intel RAID into rebuild mode...

Any idea what could have happened? I saw the note on the ASMedia 106x controller and my driver software was at 3.2.1. I have now updated it to 3.3.3, but the Intel RAID isn't using that controller. It it using Intel RST 17.5.2.1024.

I also checked the windows application and system log after reboot, but no luck. Nothing got captured!

While by RAID rebuilt is still running (3 x 4TB), I wanted to report this here to save others some trouble.

Unless somebody can confirm that the driver update above has been the root cause, I don't want to take the risk to run the software again at this time. Wish I could contribute more than a sound warning to other Z87-Plus owners.

It's difficult to say what exactly is causing this when I cannot analyze the HWiNFO Debug File.
Try to completely disable "Drive Scan" in HWiNFO settings/Safety if that will help.

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I agree. That's why I did some digging to find something for you first, but I came up empty.

Anyhow, I am willing to try out your suggestion above, but I am hesitant to do so in the middle of the week because it takes about 6-8 hours to rebuild the RAID array. Will try to run it with the above option on Saturday and report back.

Good news! I ran HWiNFO again this weekend and it started fine. I switched drive detection to safe mode.

That said, I did apply the latest Windows 2004 update last Friday. So, it is possible that the update fixed some broken stuff along the way.

Also downgraded RST 17.5.2.1024 to an older version to support SSD caching for my RAID array.

So, I think it is fair to close this bug report and put it down as one off in my opinion.

Back