Backed up settings do not work with fresh Windows 10 install.

I bounced back and forth using different Windows builds and had no issues with Hwinfo. Been using Win11 for few months, also without having any issues with Hwinfo. However when I decided to go back to Win10 due to unrelated issues it doesn't seem that backup.reg file works anymore. I have multiple such files from previous Win10 and Win11 installations and neither of these backup files work.

After looking into it deeper it seems that colors and custom names are applied. But it doesn't show up in overlay when paired with RTSS. Position lines and columns seem to be applying as well.

I suspect this is some sort of issue related to RTSS, I been using same programs without reinstalling them with multiple Windows builds without such issues occurring before.

In short, OSD RTSS does not apply "show value in OSD" while applying all other settings when registry settings backup is used.

I have verified whether this setting is preserved and it should be. It's hard to make recommendations without seeing all details.
You can verify this by opening the reg file in a text editor and check whether the "RtssInclude"=dword:00000001 item is present there.

I have verified whether this setting is preserved and it should be. It's hard to make recommendations without seeing all details.
You can verify this by opening the reg file in a text editor and check whether the "RtssInclude"=dword:00000001 item is present there.
RtssInclude"=dword:00000001 is indeed present in backup.reg file. Also I did not have any issue before with this same Windows build that I am running now.

Could it be caused by running Hwinfo before running registry file to add setting values?

Gonna attach settings file.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64-Settings.7z
    2.6 KB · Views: 3
Could it be caused by running Hwinfo before running registry file to add setting values?

Yes, that could be the reason. When HWiNFO is running it uses settings read during startup and upon closing will overwrite them.
You should always restore the settings before you run HWiNFO.

Yes, that could be the reason. When HWiNFO is running it uses settings read during startup and upon closing will overwrite them.
You should always restore the settings before you run HWiNFO.
Yes, that fixed my issue.

Shouldn't Hwinfo only read settings and not overwrite if nothing is changed though? Probably shouldn't overwrite if nothing is changed, unless it doesn't check if anything is changed and overwrites anyway.

Regardless, thank you for your time.

It stores only settings that are different from default ones and doesn't expect that something else will modify them during its runtime.

When you backup the settings, does this include all the alerts you may have made?
If not, is there a way to do that?

Back