BSOD on Sensors access

maciek

Hello,

I'm experiencing a BSOD while accessing the Sensors function in HWiNFO32 on Windows 7 SP1. Starting the application with default settings and clicking Sensors on the bar causes a BSOD. The same effect can be achieved by selecting the Sensors only option.

I have ran the procedure 3 times, twice on 5.34 and once on 5.35.2953 with the same effect. I'm quite sure HWiNFO worked fine in an earlier version on this PC, but I'm unable to confirm this since oldfoss.com seems to be down.

For some reason attempting to capture the full kernel dump was unsuccessful, even after fiddling with the Page File settings. Minidumps worked fine, and are quite weird because the faulting module seems to be random, but in the case of hwinfo_535_sensors_bsod_1 it actually hit the HWiNFO executable.

After examining HWiNFO32.DBGs I disabled SMBus 0x2E and that has fixed the problem. I have attached the successful .DBG as well.

Attachments

• hwinfo_bsod_debug_info.7z
    88.7 KB · Views: 2
Great that you already found a solution :)
I cannot say for sure why this problem happens. Accessing that device works a few times and then it crashes. Might be a collision with something else in the system (other system monitoring tool?)...

Martin said:
Great that you already found a solution :)
I cannot say for sure why this problem happens. Accessing that device works a few times and then it crashes. Might be a collision with something else in the system (other system monitoring tool?)...

I've had SpeedFan running before I tested, but I've been shutting it down for the tests themselves. I have now disabled its drivers via Sysinternals Autoruns, but HWiNFO still BSODs without the SMBus exclusion. It's probably a hardware quirk and the old age of this motherboard doesn't help (Core 2 Duo on P35).

The latest Minidump contained a memory_corruption in the tcpip and NETIO, so the corruption is probably random and will be hard to diagnose ;)
(the RAM in this PC is probably OK since it's just HWiNFO that's causing the BSODs and nothing happens while normally using the computer)

Yes, such a problem is very hard to diagnose.
I wouldn't worry much about it as long as you found a workaround ;)

Back