Can't get HWinfo to start properly with non-Admin User under Win10 (22H2)

Max24

Hi,
no matter what I do, can't get HWinfo to start properly. When I log on my Internet-User (no Admin) I want HWinfo to start automatically without typing in my Admin-Password and showing only sensors in the taskbar.

Tried to add HW to startup, no Program-Start, no temps on the Taskbar. Also it doesn't add a new Task in Task-Sheduler. Strangely HW shows up in Task-Manager as running, but I cannot see it running. (Taskbar empty)
Tried to add a Task-Shedule, says Acc isn't allowed to add Task-Shedules.
On Admin-Acc creating a new Task in Task-Shedule is possible, but it won't start either automatically on this Acc. I have to start it manually even here. (Program is installed on Admin-Acc.)
Only way on the Internet-Acc is to manually start and type in Acc-Name and Passwd, then it runs fine. But I don't want to do it on every start of the system. I hope there is a way to automate this process, otherwise I have to use other software.

Is it possible to have HWInfo start automatically without typing in Admin-Name and Admin-Passwd on my Internet-Acc?

Greetings
Max

HWiNFO requires access to hardware which is possible only with Administrative rights. Hence it cannot run without Admin rights.

Tried to add a Task-Shedule, says Acc isn't allowed to add Task-Shedules.

Logon as Admin and then create the Task Schedule from there. Use "Create Task" not "Create Basic Task"

In the General tab under Security Options. "When running the task, use the following user account" pick the Admin account. Make sure to choose "Run whether user is logged on or not". Then tick "Run with highest privileges". This way it will run as an administrator without asking for the password each time.

In the Trigger tab. Create a trigger "At log on". Choose "Specific user", then add the Internet user. Then this task will run only when the Internet user logs on, but it will still run with admin privileges.

In the Actions tab, add the action to start HWiNFO. See if that works

hello lyesbkz,
I created the task just like you suggested on my Admin-Acc, but again I don't see any temps in the taskbar. Funny enough Task-Manager shows it running and consuming System Memory. It's also shown in Autostart. Only when I start HW in the Start-Menu I have to type in my Admin-Acc-Name and Admin-Pw, then it shows me the Temps in the Taskbar. Confused...o_O

It won't work via the Task Scheduler. It's not designed to execute programs under a different user on the current user's desktop.

You can achieve what you want by doing either of the following:
  • Run runas.exe with the appropriate switches and add the /savecred switch. Reports of success are mixed, and I've never used this approach so I can't tell from my own experience if this works properly.
  • Use an external program like RunAs Professional (shareware) or RunAsSpc (free for personal use). In these programs you create an encrypted file containing the required information, including the other user's credentials, and then you can run the target program (HWiNFO) under the other user. Note that, at least in case of RunAs Professional, you also need to something like Elevate to run the target program elevated.

Regards
Dalai

Many thanks, Dalai. This was a golden Tip, now everything runs as I wanted.
Thanks again for your constructive Help. :)

Regards
Max

Back