computer crashing due to new video card

phrostbyte

Hey guys I recently got a new GPU, a 390x to replace my old 280x and now my computer crashes when I run Folding@home at anything above Light settings (Average of Full).

So I made a couple of logs, one of it not crashing on Light setting and one of it crashing on Full settings (Sunday and Monday respectively). I'm not really the greatest with hardware issues, so if anyone has a free minute, could you take a look at my logs and let me know what the problem is? And maybe how I can fix it? Thanks!

Sunday: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IO3FBG4uJwtmoYmUosSSf2ZVebHqQpeesc6JBamjzoU/edit?usp=sharing

Monday: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t9SUvCJi7DEomBFCMJ4NOip4jgZPUR75xOWO2fydJnM/edit?usp=sharing

I'm afraid this is a Folding@Home specific issue, so it's best to check at their forums.
Basically, I'd suggest to make sure that after the GPU upgrade you completely uninstalled Catalyst and then installed the latest version from scratch.
If that doesn't work try different Catalyst versions.
I also remember I had issues with GPU computing when the monitor was switched off (due to inactivity defined in power options).

Martin said:
I'm afraid this is a Folding@Home specific issue, so it's best to check at their forums.
Basically, I'd suggest to make sure that after the GPU upgrade you completely uninstalled Catalyst and then installed the latest version from scratch.
If that doesn't work try different Catalyst versions.
I also remember I had issues with GPU computing when the monitor was switched off (due to inactivity defined in power options).

hey, thanks for the reply! I actually don't think it's a F@H or Catalyst specific issue. But I'll try reinstalling both just to make sure.. also, I don't think the monitor is involved either, as the shutdown happened even when the monitor was on. I think my motherboard may be overheating. I tried using the Log Viewer application you posted to check the logs but I was still a bit confused. Would you mind checking the Monday log for me, specifically the motherboard temperatures? Were they really hitting around 100oC? I forgot to mention that I have a Solid Gear Neutron 750watt silver-rated power supply.. so I don't think that's the problem. :\

Anyway, I'm going to reinstall those two now, brb.

I also posted on F@H forums here https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=28089

I'm sorry, but there's currently a bug in the CSV log because of the thousands separator introduced recently - this is conflicting with the comma separator, so the CSV logs of the latest version are not properly parsed. This will be fixed soon in a new Beta build.
Until then you'll either need to disable the thousands separator in HWiNFO or use a previous version.

Ok thanks again. I see an option for changing the thousands separator, do I have to change it for every single field? There's no global option to disable it? I guess if there isn't I'll go through it manually disabling it for every field. I have another question. Are there any plans to integrate a log viewer into the program itself? Maybe that would make it easier to understand the logs.

I have just released the new Beta v5.05-2633. This should fix the problem with CSV, so you don't need to disable anything.

Back