Confusion between CPU temp readings

[I'll update with more conclusive observations tomorrow!]

I've been noticing that my two CCD Tdie readings, as well as the CPU (average) reading are all a few degrees cooler than the CPU (Tctl/Tdie) readings. Moreover, I can see my CPU reach up to 64 degrees in the Tctl/Tdie and any of the other three readings when doing things like downloading Steam games and extracting zip files. I haven't gamed on the system yet (finished the build tonight and super tired). Once again, I'll update with more information tomorrow.

When I close HWINFO and open something like Ryzen Master, I see temperatures closer to the former three values. I'm running a 3900x, which doesn't use the temperature offset (as far as I know). Fans are in place and connected, everything's seated correctly, PBO is disabled in my BIOS. Any input on this issue would be appreciated!

Last edited:
The meaning of those values has been explained several times on this forum. Please do some search.

Annotation 2020-08-06 130856.pngThis was during startup (albeit, background processes were opening. I think something along the lines of 10 degrees higher than any other reading is a bit out there. When doing anything from web browsing, downloading games, etc., the Tctl/Tdie is consistently 7-10 degrees higher than the other three readings. On stock settings, aside from using the DOCP profile on my RAM. PBO is disabled, as well.

It''s quite normal. Temperatures can fluctuate very rapidly (within milliseconds) and the cooling takes some time to kick-in.
The CPU (Tctl/Tdie) value is the instant highest temperature among all sensors in the CPU, while the others are filtered and averaged (over a short period) values of certain areas in the CPU (most likely excluding the IOD).

Thanks. Was just a bit worried because I’ve seen it peak to something like 69*C when downloading a Steam game which, while not beyond reasonable limits, is a bit warm, yeah?

Recently rendered a bit of an Ian Huebert demo file on Blender. So far, the Tctl/Tdie has reached a max temp of 78.6, whereas the average and two tdie readings have reached maxes of 68.4, 74.3, and 72.5 degrees respectively.

If you open up a graph showing both the temperatures, you'll see how the Tctl/Tdie behaves. It looks like a saw - spiking quickly and then going down. The others look rather smooth.

[I'll update with more conclusive observations tomorrow!]

I've been noticing that my two CCD Tdie readings, as well as the CPU (average) reading are all a few degrees cooler than the CPU (Tctl/Tdie) readings. Moreover, I can see my CPU reach up to 64 degrees in the Tctl/Tdie and any of the other three readings when doing things like downloading Steam games and extracting zip files. I haven't gamed on the system yet (finished the build tonight and super tired). Once again, I'll update with more information tomorrow.

When I close HWINFO and open something like Ryzen Master, I see temperatures closer to the former three values. I'm running a 3900x, which doesn't use the temperature offset (as far as I know). Fans are in place and connected, everything's seated correctly, PBO is disabled in my BIOS. Any input on this issue would be appreciated!

Back