Core 2 C6 Residency problem

buddywh

I recently installed v7.44-5100 on a clean install of Windows 11. My system is a Ryzen 5800X CPU on B550m Tuf Gaming motherboard, latest BIOS.

What I'm seeing is that Core2 never drops into C6 state, based on the percentages (zeros for current, min, max and average). All the other cores are dropping in and Core 2 will drop into C1. This is confusing and illogical because looking at useage and utilization I see Core 2 is being used pretty much typical for it's CPPC ranking, #1/1, which is typically around 60% max but low single digits average when system is basically idle. It is frequently 0% utilization current when idle so I don't see why it simply never drops into C6.

CPPC Preferred Cores is indeed enabled in BIOS, too.

I'm thinking this is relating to a problem with HWInfo reporting of my CPU but not sure.

Try to activate the "Snapshot CPU Polling" option in HWiNFO, that should then give more fine-grained results also better reflecting the low-power states.

Try to activate the "Snapshot CPU Polling" option in HWiNFO, that should then give more fine-grained results also better reflecting the low-power states.
That did not work for me. Core 2 is still not dropping into C6 (indicated) even through frequent periods of 0% useage and utilization.

I figured I should get back on this...

I found the problem, or fixed it at least: I re-installed the chipset drivers. I didn't expect this because they were up-to-date and just recently installed, by me, in the clean Win11 installation. But I suppose it's possible either GPU driver updates or maybe Windows' own updates either delinked or over-wrote one or more of the drivers and messed up processor performance reporting for HWInfo64.

That makes me think it may be a good idea to periodically re-install chipset drivers since both of those get fairly frequent updates.

Back