IMPORTANT Core frequency reading in Windows 11

A new GPU was acting up, so I did another clean Windows 11 install from a USB drive (versus from within Windows 11). Beforehand, I disabled Virtualization in BIOS. This pretty much forces Windows to not turn on Core Isolation. After Windows installed and did all it's updates, I did NOT install the following optional updates. (Frankly, I'm not sure it's relevant.)

optional_drivers.png

I am happy to report that as of now clocks are showing expected speeds (i.e. min at 800 MHz and max at 5.3 GHz), even after installing a bunch of other software and multiple reboots. Let's hope it stays this way.

Hello everybody.

Does anyone know if there is any way to have correct BCLK readings and can use WSL2.

I tried disabling Windows 11 "Core Isolation", but it had no effect.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everybody.

Does anyone know if there is any way to have correct BCLK readings and can use WSL2.

I tried disabling Windows 11 "Core Isolation", but it had no effect.

Thanks in advance.

That depends on what CPU you have. Sometimes disabling Core isolation might not be enough as Hyper-V can remain enabled and block access.

That depends on what CPU you have. Sometimes disabling Core isolation might not be enough as Hyper-V can remain enabled and block access.
I am currently using an i9 10900KF.

I suppouse that if disabling Core Isolation is not enough, there is no more chances to make BCLK readings work until Microsoft fixes it in Windows 11.

Am I right?

Thanks for the quick response.

It is possible to get that if you also disable Hyper-V, it might still be active even after disabling Core isolation.

It is possible to get that if you also disable Hyper-V, it might still be active even after disabling Core isolation.
I found two ways to make BCLK readings work properly:
  1. Disabling "Virtual Machine Platform", "Windows Hypervisor Platform" and "Core Isolation" in Windows 11.
  2. Disabling Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology in Motherboard BIOS (Asus Prime Z490-A).
The problem is that both ways make WSL2 unusable.

So I wonder if there is another way to fix BCLK readings and keep WSL2 working.

I'm afraid there's no other solution as Hyper-V (or Microsoft's virtualization) will block access to certain interfaces that need to be used on older CPU generations to determine precise BCLK.
Microsoft and Intel are both aware of this but Microsoft doesn't seem to be willing to fix this.

I'm afraid there's no other solution as Hyper-V (or Microsoft's virtualization) will block access to certain interfaces that need to be used on older CPU generations to determine precise BCLK.
Microsoft and Intel are both aware of this but Microsoft doesn't seem to be willing to fix this.
Okey. Thank you very much for the response. I will keep waiting for a solution in the future.

One last thing. Do you know why there are other tools (e.g. HWMonitor) that don't have this problem while monitoring CPU frequency?

Keep working in such an amazing tool!!!

Those tools use certain alternate methods to derive BCLK but AFAIK they are not reliable in many cases.

Back