CPU 0 Enchanted really hot compared to DTS

drokoz

I don't know why I'm getting that much difference and also my computer keeps starting with the fans active (Acer Nitro 5)

I just reset my computer, change the thermal paste and check if the fans are working well.

1689266786116.png

why is it pulling 31W? you were doing some stress test or that's at "idle"?

Also be careful when repasting a laptop or anything that is direct die. You really have to spread the paste to make sure the whole silicon is covered. Using the dot in the middle technique is a bit dangerous because you could have corners not covered, and that would give you some cores running cool and others cooking themselves.

why is it pulling 31W? you were doing some stress test or that's at "idle"?

Also be careful when repasting a laptop or anything that is direct die. You really have to spread the paste to make sure the whole silicon is covered. Using the dot in the middle technique is a bit dangerous because you could have corners not covered, and that would give you some cores running cool and others cooking themselves.
I think it was only with Edge and a YouTube video, still i think is a lot. What could the reason be??

About the paste i know that i covered all well (i don't like the dot technique for the same reason) maybe it was too much haha

EDIT: I unplug the pc, and the difference went really down, i know it could be because it should use less power, but i really finds it strange that like a second difference went down like 20C
¿Could be the battery that is generating heat? think not because they're in completely different places.

1689274344753.png

Last edited:
it could be your power plan in windows. if you set it to maximum performance when plugged, the CPU will maintain high clocks and draw lots of power even doing mundane tasks. Leaving it on balanced is usually better, more so on laptops. that's worth having a look at.
When you unplug, going to battery power, the power plan changes so that would explain the difference in power usage.

The could be other background tasks running including Windows Update. Check in Task Manager which process occupies the most CPU%..

The could be other background tasks running including Windows Update. Check in Task Manager which process occupies the most CPU%..
Thanks for the response! That's the thing the only heavy runnung task is microsoft edge and the maximum of cpu usage comes to 60% generally less and still getting to that much heat.

it could be your power plan in windows. if you set it to maximum performance when plugged, the CPU will maintain high clocks and draw lots of power even doing mundane tasks. Leaving it on balanced is usually better, more so on laptops. that's worth having a look at.
When you unplug, going to battery power, the power plan changes so that would explain the difference in power usage.
Thabk you! I'll check. The thing is that would explain the power usage but not the heat, it makes no sense having +30 or more just a second after you plug the charger :C

Temperatures can spike very quickly even under a medium load. Notebook systems often don't have sufficient cooling capabilities, thermal throttling is very common in many lighter designs.

Temperatures can spike very quickly even under a medium load. Notebook systems often don't have sufficient cooling capabilities, thermal throttling is very common in many lighter designs.
Nice to know! Thanks you so much!

My work laptop has the 9th gen version of yours (i7-9750H) and it does thermal throttle all the time too. But that's just how it is :p
What happens though when you repaste them and get rid of the factory crap paste, is that they throttle to a higher frequency than before, so HWinfo still shows them as red, but if you had compared the before and after boost frequencies, you may have spotted an increase.
In my case, it's now silent in idle (it was a jumbo jet constantly when i first got it), and when i push it, it throttles but 400mhz higher than before.
So you may have made your laptop more powerful, despite showing temps in red.

Back