CPU Core power shows 24,000w!

BSluggo

This anomaly seems only to occur during gaming sessions. Tried both with and without Ryzen Master running. Running regular apps, web browsing and productivity apps return normal values of 3-5w/core. HWiNFO64 does not crash, or otherwise stop working. The various cores will fluctuate between a normal power value or .8-.9w for each to 4-5w/core, or up to 3-4000 or even 24,104.845w (precision to 3 decimal places at least, with an ellipsis). Debug returned a zero byte file, both Debug Mode and Debug Write Direct are selected . I expect this zero-byte result is due to the fact there appears to be no issue with the application continuing to run.24000w on core 0 and 3.png

You need to close HWiNFO to access the Debug File. Would be great if you could attach such file that captures this situation.

Ah, that must be what I did wrong. I think I was still running the app when I looked for the DBG file. I now find it, with a size of 41.3MB. What is server limit, and does the DBG file compress? Either that or I can rerun for a shorter time.

OK. Ran again, shorter time. Found an interesting slant on the issue. It seems that if I start COD:Modern Warfare first, then start HWiNFO64, the core power values look normal (to me anyway), around 4-5w. If I then exit the game, leave HWiNFO running, and restart the game, that strange, high, power numbers come back. I ran debug mode as I tried this. Shorter time, so a smaller debug file, but still 16MB and exceeds server limit. Still get message that files are being uploaded, even though I cancelled the file attachment after I got the "files exceeds server processing capacity" message.

This is quite strange.. Either something is messing up the per-core energy counters or thread affinity of other applications (which is more likely).

I also suspected a misbehaving app. I fired up Task Manager (RunAs Admin) and started closing down running apps. No change. I did find that the spurious watt readings were still present after Call Of Duty was closed down. Also closed the Logitech Hub, Ryzen Master, bunch of other stuff. Event log today showed an issue with the Razer Cortex software, so I uninstalled that completely. Will try again, and see if the removal has eliminated the issue (I hate cowboy troubleshooting but there is so much crap running in the Windows background!).

Was this ever resolved. I have a power reading on p1 and p2 of 1,000 W. my computer under high stress will shut down. Noticed after i installed MSI afterburn and curbed the MV there the issue does die down. Can a CPU pull 1,000 W ? is this false readings, is my PC spiking to these Watts and shutting down. Thank you, any info would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• P1 P2 Issues.PNG
    P1 P2 Issues.PNG
    46.9 KB · Views: 3
Was this ever resolved. I have a power reading on p1 and p2 of 1,000 W. my computer under high stress will shut down. Noticed after i installed MSI afterburn and curbed the MV there the issue does die down. Can a CPU pull 1,000 W ? is this false readings, is my PC spiking to these Watts and shutting down. Thank you, any info would greatly be appreciated.

That's the limit value, not actual. So actually it means there's no power limit.

Back