CPU Package / CPU Core Power

dev

Hello

I've been looking for an answer for this and i can't find it, if it's a common question - sorry for that.

Under full load my cpu is rated as 95W -  amd ryzen 1800x has:
CPU Package Power (SMU) 100-110W - ok, this is power consumed by CPU
CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN) 190-200W - but what is that?, can someone explain to me exactly what this value represents?

and

SoC Power (SVI2 TFN) 10-12W - also what exactly this represents?

Would appreciate Your help.
Thank You

Pawel

AMD Zen CPUs have multiple voltage rails: VDDCR_CPU and VDDCR_SOC
CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN) is measured via SVI2 telemetry and it reflects only the core (VDDCR_CPU) rail. SoC Power reflects the VDDCR_SOC rail. So VDDCR_CPU + VDDCR_SOC + (additional rest-of-chip power that can't be measured) should equal the total CPU Package Power.
The fact that CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN) reported is so high (even higher than CPU Package Power) means, there's some glitch in the measurement. It's most probably an occasional invalid measurement during a transient state.
I suggest to watch the CPU Package Power (SMU) value only as this is the total telemetry provided internally by the CPU.

Martin said:
CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN) is measured via SVI2 telemetry and it reflects only the core (VDDCR_CPU) rail. SoC Power reflects the VDDCR_SOC rail. So VDDCR_CPU + VDDCR_SOC + (additional rest-of-chip power that can't be measured) should equal the total CPU Package Power.
The fact that CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN) reported is so high (even higher than CPU Package Power) means, there's some glitch in the measurement. It's most probably an occasional invalid measurement during a transient state.
I suggest to watch the CPU Package Power (SMU) value only as this is the total telemetry provided internally by the CPU.

Thank You very much for explaining.

Martin said:

Hi Martin 

Wonder know which interface or MSR which can be use to get the package Power SMU data. Thank you so much.

This should be documented in the public Processor Programming Reference (PPR) for AMD Family 17h document.
If it's not there, then this information isn't public and cannot be disclosed further.

Hello
Under full load my cpu is rated as 95W - amd ryzen 1800x has:
Pawel
It should be also noted, that the rated TDP has nothing to do with the actual power consumption of the CPU.
It is an imaginary number aimed at the cooler manufacturers to give them a rough estimation of the cooling requirements of the CPU. Steve from GamersNexus made a video about this, explaining the formula used to calculate the rated TDP.

It should be also noted, that the rated TDP has nothing to do with the actual power consumption of the CPU.
It is an imaginary number aimed at the cooler manufacturers to give them a rough estimation of the cooling requirements of the CPU. Steve from GamersNexus made a video about this, explaining the formula used to calculate the rated TDP.
Not quite an imaginary number. It’s a value that represents the cooler capacity in need, under specific circumstances. And yes you are right, it doesn’t represent the entire CPU power consumption.

For example on the latest ZEN2/3 lines all 65W TDP parts have a total of 88W power draw (PPT). 95W TDP parts have 125W power draw, and 105W TDP parts have a 142W power draw.
And this total power draw (PPT) includes all core power, SoC power and everything else.

PPT = Package Power Tracking

Last edited:
Hi. It seems there are different names on different software/guides for what may be the same thing. I am a little confused which reading is best for the following.

CPU- Simply the temp. (we have package and others, why?) CPU power (not TDP, I know thats just a manuf. number). So how many watts, and how many amps is it using. Some say use "POUT," others say other.
Same kind of stuff for GPU. My card GTX 1080ti has about 11GB of memory. I want to know how much memory is in use. Just one total figure, but there are several. I understand some of them, but what is best to simple see how much % and how many GB or MB of GPU memory is being used at any given time for the whole system. Surely that's a very simple one.

I think important parameters, just a few are below, but not sure the name in hwinfo (or other software):
CPU temp - which one. Voltage - vcore? or something else. Power, POUT of which I have several, or a more intuitive simple parameter. Basically a handful of important readings. To me not always clear what to use. I like to OC and game, so check a lot of them. I would like to narrow this down to the best reading, for particular component for temp, vol, amp, watt in real time. It's pretty annoying that there are so many (not just your software - which is my preference) and different people saying different things. I just don't get why these critical temps etc are sometimes hard to identify which parameter.

Any comment on basic components and the correct parameter to read in hwinfo 64 would be appreciatted. Love the software btw!!

Hi. It seems there are different names on different software/guides for what may be the same thing. I am a little confused which reading is best for the following.

CPU- Simply the temp. (we have package and others, why?) CPU power (not TDP, I know thats just a manuf. number). So how many watts, and how many amps is it using. Some say use "POUT," others say other.
Same kind of stuff for GPU. My card GTX 1080ti has about 11GB of memory. I want to know how much memory is in use. Just one total figure, but there are several. I understand some of them, but what is best to simple see how much % and how many GB or MB of GPU memory is being used at any given time for the whole system. Surely that's a very simple one.

I think important parameters, just a few are below, but not sure the name in hwinfo (or other software):
CPU temp - which one. Voltage - vcore? or something else. Power, POUT of which I have several, or a more intuitive simple parameter. Basically a handful of important readings. To me not always clear what to use. I like to OC and game, so check a lot of them. I would like to narrow this down to the best reading, for particular component for temp, vol, amp, watt in real time. It's pretty annoying that there are so many (not just your software - which is my preference) and different people saying different things. I just don't get why these critical temps etc are sometimes hard to identify which parameter.

Any comment on basic components and the correct parameter to read in hwinfo 64 would be appreciatted. Love the software btw!!
You will have to state your system, or better show a full screenshot of HWiNFO sensors like the one below

HWiNFO_27_12_2020_b.png

Thanks Zach. In the other thread where I posted I explained what I think. Basically my post was daft, both your and Martins replies were sensible and polite. Thanks again.

Is CPU TDP and CPU Package powers are same ?
Or How can I monitor real time TDP of my pc ?
First of all TDP labeling is the heat (in W) towards the CPU IHS/cooler under specific circumstances (environmental and operational). Each manufacturer measure it differently and does not reflect to the real max power consumption of the CPU. And as @Martin said its just a static parameter. More just like a name if you like.

Depending on your CPU, the HWiNFO sensors window provides a value that probably is you CPU's total power.

Its better to show a screenshot of your system just like the one below.

1636347532967.png

If your CPU is a Ryzen then PPT value is the one you want (but you have to calculate Power Reporting Deviation also when CPU is at max load).
If your CPU is Intel then @Martin can pin point the correct value for total CPU power.

Back