CPU package power does not show in system tray settings on restart

ceevee

WIndows 10 x64

I select CPU package power to always show in system tray. After restart, it is not showing. It is in the "hidden icons" section of the system tray, where you have to click the arrow to show the rest of the system icons.

If it is in this hidden section, it does not show in "Settings->Personalization->Taskbar->Select which icons appear on the taskbar."

After I drag the CPU package power icon out of the hidden section and to the right, it then shows in "Settings->Personalization->Taskbar->Select which icons appear on the taskbar."

However, after I restart, it is in the hidden section again, resulting in it not showing in "Settings->Personalization->Taskbar->Select which icons appear on the taskbar" as before.

I tested with another sensor (e.g. VID), and this behavior does not occur. It works properly with other sensors. For now I have to select "Always show all icons in the notification area" to show CPU package power after restart. Unfortunately this shows other non-Hwinfo icons that I do not want.

I'm afraid I don't know how to solve this.
Icon appearance in the taskbar is fully managed by Windows, applications have no control over the placement.

I was able to fix this. I enabled "Always show all icons in the notification area", restarted, then disabled "Always show all icons in the notification area". Now all activated hwinfo system tray icons appear and selecting them to appear in the system tray persists after restart.

Must have been a minor Windows bug, and not a hwinfo bug.

EDIT: bug appears again. I fixed it by changing the name of CPU Package Power to anything else. I used CPU Package.

Last edited:
I've installed hwinfo (6.x and 7.x including 7.04) across several PCs and even using the latest 21H1 Windows 10 clean install since I made the original post, but this same bug still appears. I always have to change the name of CPU Package Power to anything else. I usually use "CPU Package".

I know @Martin has already acknowledged that this is not within HWINFO's control, but I just wanted to re-confirm that this bug within Windows 10 still exists for anyone that runs into this. I'll continue to monitor this Windows 10 bug with every Windows update.

Last edited:
Back