CPU usage question

Simon771

I have question about CPU usage.
My task manager is reporting 40% CPU usage, but in HWinfo there are 2 values:

Max CPU/thread usage
Total CPU usage

Can someone explain to me what those 2 values are and what's the difference betwwen them (why is one lower than enother).

Picture in attachment.

Attachments

• hwinfo.jpg
    hwinfo.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 45
"Max CPU/Thread Usage" is the maximum instantaneous usage among all threads/cores in the system, so on the screenshot it matches Core #1 which has actually the highest usage.
"Total CPU Usage" is the arithmetical average usage of all threads/cores in the system (sum of all particular usages divided by their count).

Martin said:
"Max CPU/Thread Usage" is the maximum instantaneous usage among all threads/cores in the system, so on the screenshot it matches Core #1 which has actually the highest usage.
"Total CPU Usage" is the arithmetical average usage of all threads/cores in the system (sum of all particular usages divided by their count).

That's interesting ... task manager showing me 45% CPU usage overall, while HWinfo is apparently showing me only 17% total CPU usage.
Now I get it that max cpu/thread usage means max load/usage on the most used core/thread, but it's still confusing to me why is task manager showing 45% total CPU usage while hwinfo only 17%.

Yes, I have already noticed some discrepancy reporting the total CPU usage on Windows 10.
But it seems that Task Manager is wrong here.
I have used a dedicated Intel tool to put various constant load levels on different cores in the system.
And HWiNFO reports well in sync with the expected levels, while Task Manager seems to report cca 20% higher usage per each core.

And here the proof.
I have started 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% workload on the first 4 cores using the Intel tool.
As you can see HWiNFO reports correct values, but Windows Task Manager higher numbers. Core4 which is loaded at 80% reports 100% most of the time.

CPU_Usage_Win10.png

Martin said:
Yes, I have already noticed some discrepancy reporting the total CPU usage on Windows 10.
But it seems that Task Manager is wrong here.
I have used a dedicated Intel tool to put various constant load levels on different cores in the system.
And HWiNFO reports well in sync with the expected levels, while Task Manager seems to report cca 20% higher usage per each core.

Martin said:
And here the proof.
I have started 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% workload on the first 4 cores using the Intel tool.
As you can see HWiNFO reports correct values, but Windows Task Manager higher numbers. Core4 which is loaded at 80% reports 100% most of the time.

CPU_Usage_Win10.png

Seems like Microsoft needs to fix that Task Manager CPU usage ...
Anyway, now at least I know which one is more reliable. Thanks for all your work :)

You need to watch the "Core Utility" value in HWiNFO, not "Usage".
This was added long ago and discussed several times here.

Hi, thanks, understood. Is this possible to get represented max value out of all cores? I want to check during game if I'm CPU bottlenecked. I'm not sure if this will help me, but at least I wanted to check if any core goes to 100%. Thing is to make graph of max core utlility, so can somehow see how max of all cores changes over time.

core utility.png

Understood. Can you suggest is there a way to reach my goal ? How can I get graph showing CPU bottlenecking in situations game sits only on 2-4 cores out of 16 ? Total/avagerage CPU usage does not help. And nowadays, is Win11 task manager showing properly load on cores ?

Back