Dell EC Temp5 hitting 100 degree

smashly

Hi,
My laptop is a Dell N5110 i5 CPU / Nvidia 525M GPU
In HWiNFO I have a Temp5 listed under Dell EC and I quite often see it hit 100c+ while my laptop is under load.

While my CPU and GPU temps never report much over 75c under heavy load but when I see this Temp5 reading hitting 100c is sort of has me wanting to pull the laptop down and add better cooling to the afflicted chip that's hitting those temps.

Basically Temp5 always seems to be around 25c hotter then the reported CPU temp at any time.
I'm wondering if this is a VRM chip reporting those temps?
Any insight as to what Temp5 is asociated with.

The only reason I'm having a guess that it's a vrm reporting that temp.
I have a Desktop PC with Nvidia GTX295's and VRM's on the cards use to hit similar temps (105c) until I put the card on water and then I never saw the VRM hit more the 60c and the GPU's never hit 55c since.

I'm sorry, but I don't know where this sensor is really placed. Generally the VR are among the hottest components, but it might be placed anywhere and only the notebook designer knows this for sure..

The Temp5 sensor seems to be near the GPU since a small GPU benchmark on my N5110 increased the value of this sensor significantly whereas a CPU benchmark had nearly no effect.
The VRAM is connected to the GPU heat sink so it's also heated by the GPU itself.
My Temp5 sensor hits only 77°C after a FurMark 720p benchmark.

Your CPU is really cool compared to mine. After starting Prime95 my cpu temp hits quickly about 95°C. How do you have stressed your CPU to reach only 75°C?

I had the same question. N5110 i7 , I was thinking that it would be one of the chips around the CPU (because originally one of them had no thermal pad to transfer the temp to the sink).
I have renewed the thermal grease regularly during this 10 or 11 years but recently it was not efficient, I guessed there must be something which the temp monitor software could not show so I tried hwinfo and I found an unknown temp (as "other") the temp 5 under DELL EC.

Though my actual problem was the dust stuck to the radiator in the front of the fan but I didn't know and I replaced the thermal pads too (I couldn't find a 1mm pad and I had to cut a 3mm one to fit it). I add an additional pad for the missing one and it worked and decreased the temp drastically but it is still the hot guy :) though not 80c but when the CPU is 60 this chip is 68 and I couldn't decrease it more than this (probably because of the lack of conductivity on its surface)

Because the CPU copper pipe is passing through the GPU so working GPU engages all CPU parts too including this chip. Recently I bought an ASUS N55S i7 second hand as a backup for myself (working development), same CPU model from 2nd gen , same RAM , a little better GPU 2GB , BUT the most important thing is the separated copper pipe way for GPU and CPU to the heatsink radiator. I opened it to learn how to service it (clearly it had not been serviced before) and without touching the thermal transmission system it is playing AAA games with temperature less than 65 or 70 at most for CPU and GPU.

Back