Disabling dark mode with OS dark mode ON

Yuno-gamer

I like dark mode on nearly everything, but the dark mode implemented in hwinfo is very ugly and an eye sore. How does one disable dark mode in hwinfo while keeping Windows 10 dark?

I'm sorry, there's currently no option to explicitly disable Dark Mode support in HWiNFO.
Dark Mode in HWiNFO has been in Beta stage for a couple of weeks and received a lot of positive reactions. All feedback (except a few tough points like Menu Bar) has been incorporated during the Beta stage.

Last edited:
Well we need one, or the "dark" to be darker, like how Windows is. Its too light grey and white text on light grey is.. not good..

Please consider including an option in a future release to switch to the previous light theme.

I'm generally a fan of dark themes but in this case I find the background and text colours don't seem to have enough contrast like the old theme did :/ Discord is an example of an app with a pleasant dark theme where the text is easily readable. I've attached a screenshot of an instance of HWiNFO in front of a Discord window as reference.

Attachments

• XTgGGV4.png
    XTgGGV4.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 38
^ This

It's very difficult (near impossible) to read the new dark theme for me. I'm a senior & I do wear glasses, but my eyesight is poor, and degrading. The example avtar gave is excellent. My Win 10 OS is dark theme, & generally I prefer dark theme, but the contrast here is just not high enough to be readable for me.

I concur with people here that the dark mode is terrible. too many white border lines. Ive had to uninstall it for now.
You should have added an option to disable it.

Please consider including an option in a future release to switch to the previous light theme.

I'm generally a fan of dark themes but in this case I find the background and text colours don't seem to have enough contrast like the old theme did :/ Discord is an example of an app with a pleasant dark theme where the text is easily readable. I've attached a screenshot of an instance of HWiNFO in front of a Discord window as reference.

This doesn't appear like default Dark Mode layout of HWiNFO, I think you disabled "Row Shading". Can you try with this option enabled? I could alternatively make it so that the darker rows will be used as background when "Row Shading" is disabled.

This doesn't appear like default Dark Mode layout of HWiNFO, I think you disabled "Row Shading". Can you try with this option enabled? I could alternatively make it so that the darker rows will be used as background when "Row Shading" is disabled.
Row shading was on for me and it still looked like that.

Actually I got it working on restart just now but I prefer it with it off.
my main gripe is the over pronounced white borders as well. Normally its a subtle grey line for the border but this is, and I only use this term when i have to, "gopping"
Id prefer it if there wasnt any borders at all.

blurry-png.5034

^ same as Whiskeyomega

Row shading off is more 'readable' but you lose the delineation and it's hard to see what values correspond to what. I tried overriding Win DPI scaling to System Enhanced to see it would help but it didn't. For now I've rolled back to ver 628 and white theme

Thanks, Martin. I enabled row shading in dark mode -- screenshot attached. I've gone back to version 6.28 for now.

Attachments

• 152217.jpg
    152217.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 20
OK, so here's the current appearance when Row shading is disabled:
1598556460557.png

Now proposed changes:
Option #1:
1598556520960.png

Option #2:
1598556674787.png

What do you think, is #2 what you'd like ?

Option #2 looks great!

Edit: any chance you could try row borders with the same grey as the column borders in your screenshot?

Last edited:
Here a new build per your feedback: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_631_4241.zip
Changes:
- Used darker colors for sensor window with row shading and without
- Ability to disable Dark Mode: edit the HWiNFO64.INI file add, DarkMode=0 at the end of the file and restart HWiNFO.

Wow ...Martin! Thank you! So much better. Even for my tired old eyes. The zip is a standalone. In the next upgrade cycle will you include an install version of this?

Yes, there will be an install version later. All (positive) changes are being carried forward in next builds.

Back